• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Mystery

jccj7

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I'll try to be brief because this is a long story.

After replacing my power steering gear box about two months ago, why does the XJ steer more easily to the right versus to the left? It turns ok going left, but turning right requires less effort to turn the steering wheel and front tires.

Also, at a stop with the engine running, if you slowing turn the steering wheel to the left, you can feel a gradual buildup of resistance. Then the pressures seems to release, allowing the steering wheel to continue turning to the left. However, if you turn the wheel forcefully to the left, the tires turn without any problems.

I've checked all my steering components and all seem tight and functional. My trac-bar (RE Heavy Duty) occasionally needs to be tightened (mount to frame).

My initial assessment is I need to get an alignment and possibly balance my tires (last done in Sep 04). Any other ideas?

Thanks

jc

Did you use new fluid in your pump, drain out the old?

Or did you put a new pump in also?

Is it a new box or rebuilt?

Does it have a warranty on it? If so get another one.

Did you bleed the system with the tires in the air or on the ground. Should be in the air, it helps bleed it better.

Did you top off the fluid after it settled from being all foamy from bleeding?

Just some ideas

HTH

hinkley

why did you change the box? Did you take a hit on the front end and ruin the old box? Is your Jeep lifted, and if so, how much.

With a lift, part of the steering effort is translated into vertical force. Turning right, the drag link is push against the wheels, putting the track bar in tension. Turning left, the drag link is pulling against the wheels which puts the track bar in compression. If your track bar and drag link aren't in perfect alignment, these opposite forces could have a tendency to raise or lower the chassis depending on the direction the steering wheel is turned. Have you noticed any vertical motion while stationary and turning the wheel?

Is it possible that something is damaged at the hub, knuckle or steering linkage? The initial force might be needed to overcome the sticking component.

If you don't have a lift or damage, did you bleed the system... :gag:

Wow, great questions and ideas.

Yes I do have a lift (my specs were in my sig, but it has disappeared, hmm?), anayway, it's a 4" Tera-Flex and have installed the Warn hub conversion kit. Besides the RE Track Bar, those are the only mods I have on the Jeep that could affect steering.

I replaced the box (an Autozone rebuild) in error. There was a popping noise coming from the front after a Paragon trip and figured my box needed replacing. After the fact, it ended up my Track Bar being loose.

I did bleed the brakes with wheels in the air and topped off to specs after the foam subsided.

I will check the other areas as mentioned. By the way, I forgot to mention that when I brake the steering wants to pull to the right. I believe this is a function of the brakes, but thought I'd mention it.

Thanks

jc

Back