• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 to 95 axle swap

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
My d35 rear axle in my 95 has needed rebuilt for quite sometime, the limited slip quit working several months ago, the pinion leaks and its noisy as hell. I'm going to swap in the Chrysler 8.25 out of my 01 parts xj along with the springs, while I rebuild the d35. They are both the same ratio, so no problem there, I know my abs will not work, I was just wondering if there is anything else I need to watch out for; these 00-01 xjs have a lot of weird non interchangeable pieces.

BTW if anyone needs some odd 01 specific piece let me know, I'm keeping a few more pieces but going to part out and scrap whats left.

Driveshaft length will be different. Where about are you in Kansas, I was born in Winfield but have a lot of relatives there.

Clear up in the north east, I have a couple relatives in Wichita though. Will the 01 drive shift work then? It has a 231 case and 95 is a 242.

Measure the 2 driveshafts. Use the shorter one.

Measure the yoke too, as I think the length of the snout that goes into the xfer case changed a bit through the years. You reasonable engagement on the splines, but to long enough that you risk bottoming out if you cycle the suspension.

My suspension is bottomed out now, lol, that's why I'm switching the springs too. Years of carrying mail over rough roads have taken their toll.

The yoke at the TC may be different 95 and back the yoke went into the TC,96> the yoke stayed on the outside.

They both look like slip yokes. The 01 has a boot on it, haven't had time to pull it yet. E brake cables should hook up the same, will the brake lines be the same fittings or am I going to have to splice something together?

Back