• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 Cherokee Leaf Spring Question

jlmxj49

NAXJA Forum User
I was replacing the rear drum brakes on my 01 Cherokee this weekend. Drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, lines and all. The whole rear end, leaf springs and all is pretty rusty and crusty. The leaf springs have some thin bands around then with rubber strips instead of the thicker clamps I've seen. They were rusted out and fell off. Would these have been factory or something a previous owner would have put on there? I'll need to replace them so that's why I ask. It is a 4 x 4 with the Chrysler 8.25 rear end.

Also look to see if your spring was equipped with anti friction discs, if so they might be worn out also, the U bolts are considered one use items, and thus should be replaced if removed, although many folks dont bother, and instead reuse them.

The leaf springs on my XJ are not factory. There's a sticker on one of them that says Triangle Spring and a part number. A previous owner obviously pulled something with it because the springs have a helper spring at the rear of each leaf and a receiver hitch. The springs are pretty much flat with no arch, but I had to do a 2" budget boost on the front to level it. The front end sat too low, plus I swapped to 30x9.50 tires.

Back