• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Drum Brake Help

zajaco

NAXJA Forum User
I have a new to me D44 out of an early XJ that I swapped into rear of my '98. It doesn't have the parking brake components in the drum though. I know, I know... convert to disk. That is on the plan but probably a while off. In the mean time, I'd like the parking brake to work. I think I have found the right equalizer bar. However, I'm having a hard time finding the parking brake lever. I think these components are out there, but I'm not sure the search engines associate all the little drum brake components with the XJ.

Does anyone know where I can find the parking brake lever or know what other vehicles had the D44 with the 10" drums that I can use to search for? Better yet, if any of you guys that have done the disc brake swap have these parts lying around, I'd be willing to take them off your hands. Thanks!

Early XJ Dana 35 had 10 inch brake drums, all that brake hardware should interchange.

It is likely that Wrangler D44 parts and possibly CJ-7 D44 parts will also work.

I don't believe the D35 ever came with 2-1/2" wide brakes and those parts are not (most) interchangeable.

Thanks guys! I will look into those options. I would think the parking brake stuff would interchange from a D35 as those components wouldn't be based on the width of the drum like the shoes would be.

Morris 4X4 has them, 83504306 right and 83594307 left. The Morris database says any axle 84-89, my parts PDF say 88 and 89, 35 or 44 are the same parts number.

Back