• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-keying question

bigdaddyjlove

NAXJA Forum User
Good morning,

I have a couple of jeeps with mismatched ignition/door lock cylinders. I am able to re-key the ignition cylinders, but I am wondering if anyone has a source for the tumblers? I can tear down a few old cylinders, but I would prefer to buy new if possible.

Thanks

I always take everything to my local lock-smith, he can match anything to anything.

Just FYI: earlier XJs like my '88 (and many earlier cars) came like that. Square head for ignition, oval head for doors/tailgate and glove box.

I had to replace the ignition cylinder in my '98, because the key wouldn't stay in and I was having other ignition switch related issues, so I changed that out too.

To keep the same key, I order a new ignition cylinder that came with other tumblers. I took the ignition cylinder and my original spare key to a locksmith, and for $25 and half hour later I was all set....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Lock-Cylinder-Dorman-924-703/401109641433?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

I had to replace the ignition cylinder in my '98, because the key wouldn't stay in and I was having other ignition switch related issues, so I changed that out too.

To keep the same key, I order a new ignition cylinder that came with other tumblers. I took the ignition cylinder and my original spare key to a locksmith, and for $25 and half hour later I was all set....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Lock-Cylinder-Dorman-924-703/401109641433?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

I replaced mine in my '00 XJ for the exact reason. Could be removed from the Jeep with it running. No other problems beside that though. It just bugged me. I just used the one I did not have to rekey. I like having a separate ignition key. Being older it reminds me of the old school GM's I used to own way back when that had separate keys. LOL.

Back