• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank vent question

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
My '87 XJ has a fuel odor when I run a full tank. I finally got underneath it to investigate. The fuel is sloshing out on the top, passenger side of the tank where a vent line connects. The vent line its self is not torn. I've pulled it off the fitting, inspected it, and slid it back on. It appears the actual fitting must be leaking where it goes into the tank (this is out of site).

I was reluctant to drop the tank because it involves me removing the rear bumper, hitch, and gas tank skid.. (I don't use nut strips, I use STD bolts..)

Just curious if anyone has had a leak in this same spot, and could tell me what to expect.
Thanks

I don't know, but I do happen to have an XJ tank sitting in my driveway. I can take a picture of the top of the tank. Basically those vents sit in a rubber donut, so if it's shrank or cracked then it will leak fuel.

87manche is right.

There is one or two grommets with valves on top of the tank, and one or two of those may have failed due to age.

There should be a roll-over valve that closes in case of a rollover to prevent fuel spill, that usually is attached to the line running to the charcoal canister for the EVAP system. Also, the fuel cap itself has one or more valves--air has to enter the tank to replace the fuel that is pumped out, and if pressure becomes to great the cap will vent to the atmosphere, although the EVAP system is supposed to handle the vapors. The charcoal in the canisters will become "compacted" over the years and no longer do its job.

Pretty much you will have to drop the tank. You might be tempted to cut through the body to access the top of the tank. I wouldn't recommend that--you already have fumes and sawing through metal, not a good idea for heat/sparks to develop in that area.

Sounds like a weekend project.. I hope I'm able to find parts locally. I can twirl the vent line fitting around 360 degrees with my finger, it feels fairly loose. Maybe the rubber around it has rotted.

87manche- Thanks for offering to take pics of the grommlet. I would appreciate it, but if its too much trouble, no sweat.

Thanks

I wonder if I could pull the plastic fitting out of the rubber, and slide a new one in without dropping the tank...

If you can, why not?

The only downside would not being able to try and keep pieces of the grommet, if that bad, from falling into the tank, but he fuel pump sock should handle that.

I'm thinking dealer for the grommet. My 87-90 parts catalog shows a quantity of two, same part number:

J536 0058 2 VALVE, Vent
J536 0059 2 SEAL

The grommets on my MJ's tank are made of what I thought was a ceramic type material. It's crumbly. The PO had the bed off and dropped the tank...seems he screwed with it without really fixing it. Getting chunks in the tank now seems inevitable.

Nice to know there's an actual part number, I was going to hit the hardware store. Thanks joe_

The grommets on my MJ's tank are made of what I thought was a ceramic type material. It's crumbly. The PO had the bed off and dropped the tank...seems he screwed with it without really fixing it. Getting chunks in the tank now seems inevitable.

Nice to know there's an actual part number, I was going to hit the hardware store. Thanks joe_

The part number might have changed, but the dealer can look it up. I haven't actually tried NAPA or rockauto.com, they might be available through them.

I think it helped. I can still smell some fuel odor though. I'm going to go ahead and order replacement parts.

souds lke the best plan. I'll get some pictures when it stops raingin so you'll know the exact location. There's a stamped ridge you an follow. It's going to be fun getting your hand up over te tank.

Back