• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to pass emissions?

bobmarly123

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
89 XJ Renix, AX15

I have had problems in the past with passing emissions testing and had the Cat and O2 sensor changed about 4-6 yrs ago.

I will be changing the O2 sensor and have new plugs, TPS, CPS (if those even matter), fuel pump and filter, injectors and air filter.

Anything else anyone can think of would be appreciated before I spend the money to test it then have to get it worked on.

PS
To replace the cat is there welding involved? It looks like it to me.

Looks like you are replacing all the problematic parts, might want to check your distributor cap and rotor as well as iginition wires.

Make sure you run your vehicle at least 15mins before testing. I usually would drive on the expressway for a few miles to try and help things along.

Starting this year in Chicago vehicles older that 1995 no longer require emissions testing. Maybe you can hope for a similar situation in CA.

GOOD LUCK

thanks for the help. I just wanted to get all the bases covered.

That would be nice if I didn't have to be smoged anymore. So we will see.

jcjeeper89 said:
Starting this year in Chicago vehicles older that 1995 no longer require emissions testing.

:D :D :D

They only thing Illinois has done in the last few years that makes sense, even if it was to save money.

Rev

jcjeeper89 said:
Looks like you are replacing all the problematic parts, might want to check your distributor cap and rotor as well as iginition wires.

Make sure you run your vehicle at least 15mins before testing. I usually would drive on the expressway for a few miles to try and help things along.

Starting this year in Chicago vehicles older that 1995 no longer require emissions testing. Maybe you can hope for a similar situation in CA.

GOOD LUCK

For California? HA......no. They are nuts with pollution over there.

I had a truck that wouldn't pass emission testing so what I did was talk to the guy after giving the emission testing and faild I asked is there anything I can do to fix it and kinda give him a hunch, and i paid the guy off to pass it. he hooked it up to another car next to mine and took care of it. Only cost me 25 bucks to pay the guy off. It may work for you.
-Matt

Passing CA emissions is a piece of cake. Make sure your engine is properly maintained, all vacuum is tight, coolant and other systems in top shape, change your oil on a regular basis, change your O2 every two years, and buy a new gas cap every two years. Keep your CAT healthy.

If your check engine light goes on, find the problem and fix it. If your Jeep runs like crap, get it off the road and fix it. Simple. If you can't take care of your Jeep, buy a Honda.

Replacing the O2 is just good insurance since that's the first thing anyone looks at out here. The gas cap is another. Since my XJ is 17 yrs. old I'll get tagged as a "gross polluter" if I go over the "limit", have to spend another $50 to go to the special "gross polluter" smog place, and still have to put in an O2 or buy a gas cap. Then I'll have that guy tell me I have to spend up to $300 just for the repairs to the system. I have 230K on my XJ, I've replaced the O2 at least 3 time in the seven years I've owned it AND replaced the CAT twice. That's just how tight it is out here on an engine that's been through all this one's been through.

They just want you to buy a new Chevy Tahoe or Dodge Ram so everyone looks pretty much the same going down the road. Screw it, I'm a country boy and I'll be diddly-damned if I EVER do that. I love my Jeep and I defy those nimrods to tell me I have to get it off the highway, because it runs better than most 02 or 03's.
:gee:

ParadiseXJ said:
Replacing the O2 is just good insurance since that's the first thing anyone looks at out here. The gas cap is another. Since my XJ is 17 yrs. old I'll get tagged as a "gross polluter" if I go over the "limit", have to spend another $50 to go to the special "gross polluter" smog place, and still have to put in an O2 or buy a gas cap. Then I'll have that guy tell me I have to spend up to $300 just for the repairs to the system. I have 230K on my XJ, I've replaced the O2 at least 3 time in the seven years I've owned it AND replaced the CAT twice. That's just how tight it is out here on an engine that's been through all this one's been through.

They just want you to buy a new Chevy Tahoe or Dodge Ram so everyone looks pretty much the same going down the road. Screw it, I'm a country boy and I'll be diddly-damned if I EVER do that. I love my Jeep and I defy those nimrods to tell me I have to get it off the highway, because it runs better than most 02 or 03's.

I think you mean they want everyone in a Prius or Honda hybrid sardine can no go anywhere -automoton-shoebox.......
Id rather ride a bicycle.....
We have emmissions here in Texas, but only certain counties. All the big metro areas. if you fail, you get 15 days to try again, no extra charge.
Doesnt mean i like it...oh well.I just got mine passed a month ago, i replaced the cat and O2 and passed afterwards...but not by much..I dont know why motorcycles dont need inspections....guess thatll be my next route
:gee:

Two solutions here in the counties in Texas that require testing.

Drive an old diesel, they are exempt.

Drive an 82 or older vehicle. Vehicles that are 25 years old or older are exempt here in the counties that require testing.

So if you buy an 82 or older vehicle (body with the 82 vin number), then drop in a newer, energy efficient drive train, FI, computer...., etc, you should be "good to go".

Blaine B. said:
They tell you you HAVE to have repairs made and you can't do them yourself?

Who says you can't do it yourself?

I have heard something about the retest only being free if the repairs are done by certified ##@*%$ or some such nonsense (in Texas).

Ecomike said:
Who says you can't do it yourself?

I have heard something about the retest only being free if the repairs are done by certified ##@*%$ or some such nonsense (in Texas).

I was under the impression that you couldn't get it retested unless you showed proof of a certified shop doing the emissions repairs, according to his post?

Blaine B. said:
I was under the impression that you couldn't get it retested unless you showed proof of a certified shop doing the emissions repairs, according to his post?
It probably varies from state to state. Here in Texas you can go either way, but if you do it yourself and it does not work you have fewer options. Here, if you use a certified shop then you can usually get it retested in a certain number of days at the original test site for free. Then if it fails again and if you have already spent something like 300 to 500 dollars you can request some kind of hard ship pass where the state either passes it in spite of the failure (if it was real close for instance), or helps pay the extra cost to fix it or if it is really bad and not worth fixing and too much emissions to pass, they help hardship cases replace the car at state expense.

But here you can fix it yourself, you just have to keep paying for the reinspection fee unless you know the tester shop personnel and they retest it for free cause they know you.

I just get all excited when some one tells me I, or we, or they CAN'T do something. One of the things I have learned in science and life, is there is always an exception to the rule.

Last edited:
Back