• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Viral Racing Lifts (or just Lifts??)

LRRH

NAXJA Forum User
Ahh....the eternal question (or dilema). I'm fairly experienced in the SJ world...but I'm starting to modify my XJ now and I've got a lift question.

I don't care about what the best lift out there is because I'm fairly broke. I would like to know what cheaper lifts some of you guys are running and if you like them.

Also, is anyone using a Viral Racing lift kit??

Thanks!!

If you are interested in running an Addaleaf kit stay away from teh short spring kits.....try to use long leaf adda leaf..ride is much better and will keep your springs from fatiguing as quickly

Check out www.cheapxj.com

He's helped me get ready to build up my '88 for much lower than I had expected, and theres good tech articles there on what you can do for lift.

I used cheapxj as the inspirations for some of my work too. Thanks cheap, hope I get to meet you one day.

But if I had to do it with virtually no money....
Put some dakota leaves on the rear and build 4" spacers on the front. Buy shock stud extensions for the front and relocate the rear lower shock mounts. YJ rear brake hose. Relocate the front brake lines. Trim the front spring mounts to clear the lower control arms. Slap some 31's on and off you go. It'll even work too. Wont be a rock crawling hero but...could be done with $1XX. plus tires and some time, and just a hair of fabrication skill.

Save your money and buy a lift. Put $50 a week in someones hand that will hold it for you and not let you have it until you save enough. In a half year you'll have enough to put it on 32's with a kit that will work well. Try and do it right the first time. Not like I did. Hell recently saw a used 4.5 kit on here for $150 !!!! Wish I had been on naxja when I started. Thanks NAXJA for all the help and advice since then. Really joining live and in person in Tellico this year.

well....this is my daily driver so i'm trying to stay below 3" of lift. I don't want to drop the tcase etc.......

i like the dakota rear springs.....but i'm not sure on the coil spring spacers. something screams at me to stay away from them. i may just buy new coils for the front and use rear springs from something else. cheapXJ looks like a cool site. i will definately be doing some research there. the main reason for my post is I was scared of using AALs. I'm already planning on new shocks/tires....I just didn't want to spend a BUNDLE on the lift kit.

keep the info coming.

thanks!

If its a '00, it's still a strong possibility that you will get vibes at 3", or even 2". Strong possibility, STRONG.
:next:

lift stuff

I have a RE6160 which uses a short aal and spacers up front. There is really no problem to using the spacers, they might even quiet a few noises if your spring isolators are bad. The ride is stiff with the AAL's but tolerable, for me price was a concern so I bought the kit because I needed shocks. If I did it agian I'd do front spacers again and get some Dakota springs from the local boneyard. I'd have to scrounge for shocks but I'd have a better ride. The next xj is going to get a full out 3" kit with all the trimmings. I'm saving for that right now. If you're cheaping it do the spacers and dakota springs. Don't forget to extend your brake lines.

Mine is a 91 limited so the vibes issue doesn't exist due to different xcase etc. The ride is stiff because the AAL is basically a stiff helper spring that re-arches the rest of the pack (arch=lift) and thus stiffens it. I used to drive Toy 4x4s and even after the lift my xj is a better ride than the Toys. I'm certainly not complaining about it. The link will take you to a couple of shots I have of mine. the lift is advertised as 2" and I ended up with more like 2.5"+. It was exactly 3" in the "after" pic . Keep us posted BTW tires are 235's (retreads from Hi-Tech) and measure as tall as most 30's.

Asat jeep pix

Back