• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is anyone bringing a computer to this event to post for those that aren't coming?

TRNDRVR

NAXJA Forum User
I have a cheesy laptop I can bring that'll get us on the net,:geek:
but won't be able to post any pictures.
Has this crossed anybody's else's mind, or am I a day late and a dollar short?
Just curious!!! If there's no interest in this post, I'll leave mine at home.
Thanks,
Dan.

I will be bringing my laptop, but how is the internet connectivity there??? I have a dialup service with my cable (like 10 hrs) so I guess I can lookup a local number and if I get access to a phoneline we can get things rolling :)

Kejtar

I'll be bringing my laptop. If anybody wants to do a photo dump I can accept CompactFlash and SD cards, if you have other media, bring your cable and software! I have a CD-R on that machine, so I can even offload your pictures when your camera gets full and burn them onto a disc for you.

As for Internet, as long as we can find a live phone line I can get on, through work I have a dial up Internet provider that is 800 number access, so I don't have to worry about finding a local number.

I'll be there from Wednesday through the weekend.

Sequoia

Bringing laptops....IBM in town?

I am bringing laptops that I can download pictures onto.

Does anyone know if there is an IBM office in MOAB? If so, we can get high speed access.

Last time I was at Slickrock CG(3yrs ago), I was able to hookin to the phone in their office. Veeeerrrrrryyyyyyy slow.
Hopefully technology has moved on. I talked to them about having phone access at a few sites, don't know if they have done anything.

We will work out something to keep those not able to be there informed, even if it is only a few pixs and some text.

Moab computers

When our family goes to Moab in June we always buy a week's worth of local access thru MokiNet, the local ISP. VERRRYYY slow!
If you have access to something else, use it as the local stuff is slow. There is a computer bar in town that has DSL or cable, not really sure but it's expensive to use. I have never seen anything there that looks like an IBM portal.Danno

Geez, guys.

This is supposed to be a back-to-basics, your Jeep and you in the desert for a few days (weeks). Are we so twitchy we need to be wired 100% of the time?

:eek:

Relax - enjoy the air, enjoy the ride, enjoy the camaraderie, enjoy life! :)

(BTW, I ain't no Luddite, especially having spent many, many, many years dealing with high speed, corporate, global telecom. But there's a lot to be said for the sounds of silence and the absence of electrons.)

IIRC, lousy cell phone coverage, no IBM offices, couple of cranky payphones (remember them?) in the CG.

Mike in NJ (for a couple more hours) :patriot:

Mike in NJ said:
Geez, guys.

This is supposed to be a back-to-basics, your Jeep and you in the desert for a few days (weeks). Are we so twitchy we need to be wired 100% of the time?

:eek:

Relax - enjoy the air, enjoy the ride, enjoy the camaraderie, enjoy life! :)

I wish I could... but...... I gotta check with work every so often :( Even though I should have all my projects done by then (and the ones that I can postpone, postponed) bad stuff happens..... and I might have to dig into some code....

Kejtar

Kejtar said:
I wish I could... but...... I gotta check with work every so often :( Even though I should have all my projects done by then (and the ones that I can postpone, postponed) bad stuff happens..... and I might have to dig into some code....

Kejtar

Ah, to be young and insane again.........

Seriously, dude......... and take this from someone who's in the information technology profession: You absolutely, positively, have to break management of the theory that you are always available. This is a vacation. Leave work behind. If you can't get away for a while, then something is way wrong.

I decided some time ago that as soon as the office calls me on a vacation day, it's no longer a vacation. Doesn't matter if it's a 30 second call, you owe me my vacation day back. This isn't open to discussion.

Yes, I've gotten very hardnosed about it, because I've been burned by it. I work hard to keep my systems up and available to the point that management asks "why do we even pay you? nothing ever goes down around here." But I won't be taken advantage of.

ChiXJeff

ChiXJeff said:
Ah, to be young and insane again.........

Seriously, dude......... and take this from someone who's in the information technology profession: You absolutely, positively, have to break management of the theory that you are always available. This is a vacation. Leave work behind. If you can't get away for a while, then something is way wrong.

Well... they did throw in couple extra PAID days off that I didn't have.... so I kind of owe it to them to make an attempt :D Btw, I don't expect much trouble though as my code ussually holds up, but..... things happen :)

Kejtar said:
Well... they did throw in couple extra PAID days off that I didn't have.... so I kind of owe it to them to make an attempt :D Btw, I don't expect much trouble though as my code ussually holds up, but..... things happen :)

Okay, you're at least getting something out of the deal.

I'm turning into a cranky old unix curmudgeon. FTM, when I interviewed here 2 years ago, my moles within company told me that the interview team's first reaction was "He even LOOKS like a Unix GOD." I don't hold still for being taken advantage of, and that includes misuse of my vacation time, on-call time, etc. The company gets a LOT of my time and attention, but my time is exactly that, MY TIME, and is not theirs to dictate.

Man, that DOES sound like a rant, doesn't it?

ChiXJeff said:
when I interviewed here 2 years ago, my moles within company told me that the interview team's first reaction was "He even LOOKS like a Unix GOD." I don't hold still for being taken advantage of, and that includes misuse of my vacation time, on-call time, etc. The company gets a LOT of my time and attention, but my time is exactly that, MY TIME, and is not theirs to dictate.

Ok... now I gotta ask this... when is the last time they let you out of the server room???

Kejtar said:
Ok... now I gotta ask this... when is the last time they let you out of the server room???

:D :D Eh? What's that, sonny? <adjusting ear trumpet>

The last tasks I've actually worked on in the data center are for packaging servers up for shipment to another data center as this site is getting closed.

Back on track...... I've been thinking about taking the company laptop out, but it'd be exclusively for GPS uploads/downloads. The cellphone may come with me, but it's gonna pretty much turned off.

Rumor mill has it Macgyvr will be doing a Live Naked Webcast from Moab for all NAXJA members that couldnt make it out there.....

Keep watching for more details...

This is after he has at least 3 coors lights

Regards
Chewy

IntrepidXJ said:
I am going to assume they do not have GSM/GPRS wireless service in the area?

I have TMobile and GPRS data service. I just called their tech support and they show GSM AND GPRS data in Moab.

So I'll have 26Kbps data access. Yes, I'm bringing my laptop. It's the only way work will let me go.

bburge

Back