NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 16th, 2011, 08:23
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Stock steering damper removal, the easy way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiXJ View Post
I used one of these things. It's from Harbor Freight. Also used it to get the steering knuckles off when I did my ball joints. It works pretty good.

My favorite HF toy.
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:50
TOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee chuck View Post
3X, actually that's about all I have ever used mine for. I've never needed it for a TRE
lol this is my Old Man I havent found his posts on here before !
Old August 17th, 2011, 20:41
NAXJA Forum User

A big ol hammer did the trick for me today!
Old February 1st, 2019, 13:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjtrailrider View Post
I've used those as well and broke a couple in the process.
I just removed my very rusted steering damper ball stud. I applied some cheap penetrating oil, left it overnight, then tried a normal (not hinged) TRE puller, and as I torqued it down the puller hooks actually started to separate and come off of the drag link....the ball stud was THAT rusted in place. I noticed that the Chrysler Puller tool C-3894-A called for in the service manual to do the job is a hinged puller...perhaps that keeps it from slipping off like mine did.
So I went to Autozone and got a loaner #27170 hinged puller (with two cross-bolts to prevent the hooks from separating, and a surface at the end of the screw shaft to bang on with a sledge hammer), then applied a 50/50 AFT/Acetone mixture to it, and torqued it up as far as I could without feeling as if I would damage it, then banged on it with a hammer, and the ball joint STILL wouldn't budge. However, I left the puller on there overnight, and by morning the ball stud popped out.
Old June 12th, 2019, 08:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer View Post
I just removed my very rusted steering damper ball stud. I applied some cheap penetrating oil, left it overnight, then tried a normal (not hinged) TRE puller, and as I torqued it down the puller hooks actually started to separate and come off of the drag link....the ball stud was THAT rusted in place. I noticed that the Chrysler Puller tool C-3894-A called for in the service manual to do the job is a hinged puller...perhaps that keeps it from slipping off like mine did.
So I went to Autozone and got a loaner #27170 hinged puller (with two cross-bolts to prevent the hooks from separating, and a surface at the end of the screw shaft to bang on with a sledge hammer), then applied a 50/50 AFT/Acetone mixture to it, and torqued it up as far as I could without feeling as if I would damage it, then banged on it with a hammer, and the ball joint STILL wouldn't budge. However, I left the puller on there overnight, and by morning the ball stud popped out.
50/50 ATF (Dexron)/Acetone mixture, I meant.