• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 XJ high beams stuck on, how to get off 1 last time?

wyowalsh

NAXJA Forum User
so last night my XJ headlights decided to stay on HI Beam, the switch was getting a bit difficult but now they are on Hi Beam all the time & when car turned off Hi Beam stays on. Not Cool ! I either have to replace the switch or just get them off, back to low beam.

Has anyone ever had this and somehow jimmied the switch with a screwdriver to get it to turn off, set back to LOW Beam ?

Also, how do you access that switch to replace, the cover looks like its 1 piece, do you have to remove the steering wheel and ignition lock cylinder or what?

all tips appreciated.................

It actually is activated by a rod and the switch is further down on the steering column. I believe it is on the left hand side.

I think staying on with the ignition off would be hi/low switch stuck in flash to pass. On the 89, the flash function is actually a separate fuse, not sure about a 91.

I'm also assuming you haven't done a headlight kit and added relays which might be sticking.

I'm also assuming you haven't done a headlight kit and added relays which might be sticking.

nope car is bone stock, .................

regarding flash to pass, I believe thats the issue. It seems stuck on high beam.
I'll see if I can access that switch on left side of column,

any ideas how far the rod goes down the column ?

I think staying on with the ignition off would be hi/low switch stuck in flash to pass. On the 89, the flash function is actually a separate fuse, not sure about a 91.

yup, correct. was stuck in flash to pass. I found the rod halfway down the left side of steering column and moved the rod upward toward the steering wheel and hi beam came off. At least now I can leave the battery hooked up. so now the lights are on low beam, they turn on and off as advertised and if I leave high beams alone I am OK for now, thanks for the suggestions.

Back