• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Renix MJ issue

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
So we have been working on my sons 88 MJ. This jeep has sat for many years with a blown motor. This year we finally got a motor and 4wd conversion down to it. The jeep starts and idles good. Usually needs starter fluid the first time. We thought it was a bad fuel pump but we just swapped in a carter over the weekend and its still stalling when he mashes the gas. I know damn little about the Renix system. I have a HO intake and TB adapted to the Renix TPS. Everything else is stock. Well as stock as it can be when you putting a jeep back together. Any thoughts on what we should check?

So we have been working on my sons 88 MJ. This jeep has sat for many years with a blown motor. This year we finally got a motor and 4wd conversion down to it. The jeep starts and idles good. Usually needs starter fluid the first time. We thought it was a bad fuel pump but we just swapped in a carter over the weekend and its still stalling when he mashes the gas. I know damn little about the Renix system. I have a HO intake and TB adapted to the Renix TPS. Everything else is stock. Well as stock as it can be when you putting a jeep back together. Any thoughts on what we should check?

Two things come to mind. First try bypassing the big ceramic fuel pump resistor on the drivers fender. It's prone to corroded connectors or cracking Second, check that you have a good ground on the fuel pump. http://cruiser54.com/?p=249 Go through his other tips on refreshing the grounds while you're at it.

HO engine with HO intake and gasket. Don’t hear any signs of an intake leak. I’m wondering if something needs calibration. Don’t the Renix tos need something like that? I have a friend with a snap on 2500 scanner I’m thinking about loading it up and taking it to him. The pressure at the rail when I press the fuel test port is a trickle. Not like my 94 tail rig at all.

HO engine with HO intake and gasket. Don’t hear any signs of an intake leak. I’m wondering if something needs calibration. Don’t the Renix tos need something like that? I have a friend with a snap on 2500 scanner I’m thinking about loading it up and taking it to him. The pressure at the rail when I press the fuel test port is a trickle. Not like my 94 tail rig at all.

supposed to be 31 at idle with vacuum hose on the fuel pressure regulator and 39 when the line is unplugged.

Obviously you had to swap distributors.

http://cruiser54.com/?p=68

supposed to be 31 at idle with vacuum hose on the fuel pressure regulator and 39 when the line is unplugged.

Obviously you had to swap distributors.

http://cruiser54.com/?p=68

This has been a long project so my memory is fuzzy on details. If I rev it at the engine or you are gentle it will sometimes be fine. We are at the point we are ready for test drives with the 4wd conversion but this problem. The E Fan is also not kicking on too...

Your boy is driving?! Damn Glenn, you'v gotten old dude!

Yes sir. My twins are 20 now..... one still doesn’t drive though.

Last edited:
Back