• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What fuel pump replacement for 89?

XJXJ

NAXJA Forum User
After 270k miles, my old 4.0 Renix pump is finally making the "noise" and I need to replace. I'd appreciate sourcing ideas for replacement pump? Napa? AZ? Kragen? OEM? Other?

TIA

XJXJ said:
AZ? Kragen?
TIA
If it were me I would avoid these two like the plague. They may offer a lifetime warranty on their stuff, and will honor it too, but you had better like pulling and replacing the item. I should state that this has been my experience, and as such may differ from what is perceived as the "norm".

Intellectual value: 2 cents.

Bent said:
If it were me I would avoid these two like the plague. They may offer a lifetime warranty on their stuff, and will honor it too, but you had better like pulling and replacing the item. I should state that this has been my experience, and as such may differ from what is perceived as the "norm".

Intellectual value: 2 cents.

Thanks Bent, that's the kinda stuff I'm looking for. Are you saying to go with either Napa or dealer OEM? If I could get 1/2 of 270k miles outta replacement pump I'd be thrilled. Naw, I don't think I'll like replacing the damn thing so quality is where I'd rather put my parts money.

What is the best quality fuel pump for the 4.0 Renix? I'd like to get it done today but I wanna know what the board members think 1st.

I bought mine at autozone it was the $128.00 made by Bosch, it's the same exact pump the stealership want's $218.00 for, even the same part number.
. With the Az lifetime warrantee (90 days from stealership) only if they install it.

Last edited:
langer1 said:
I bought mine at autozone it was the $128.00 made by Bosch, it's the same exact pump the stealership want's $218.00 for, even the same part number.
. With the Az lifetime warrantee (90 days from stealership) only if they install it.

I was afraid dealer might be the same part. Very helpful, thanks! Know of anything more robust than the Bosch?

I bought mine from AutoZone a year ago, and have had no problems out of it. The fuel pump on an 89 is kinda easy to remove/install since it's on the side of the tank; just a couple fuel lines and the retaining ring to remove, and I think I only paid around $75 for the motor/inline filter/tank filter all together.

jfiscus said:
I bought mine from AutoZone a year ago, and have had no problems out of it. The fuel pump on an 89 is kinda easy to remove/install since it's on the side of the tank; just a couple fuel lines and the retaining ring to remove, and I think I only paid around $75 for the motor/inline filter/tank filter all together.
They have the cheap one Master something but also have the Bosch although not in stock but they can get it the next day.

You shouldn't have to drop the tank - access will be centre front.

Bosch makes a decent pump, but I could get ACDelco faster when I needed the last couple. Haven't had any trouble at all with them, either. Probably a little cheaper than the Bosch - and I got the lifetime warranty from ACD as well.

Avoid chain stores - they've lost interest in good parts. Find a small local, check the staff out (ideally, IQ>Belt size,) and get in good with them. You'll get better parts, and I notice that my prices get a little better at intervals as well...

5-90

Thanks everyone! The '89 fuel pump is EASY to R&R and I learned the factory used two different pumps. Bosch or Walbro. I pulled mine just to see which one I had and then grabbed a replacement from Pep Boys for about $80.

The hat-trick is "feeling" for the proper connection inside the tank to the pump during re-assembly. There's some type of "fuel reserve" system that relies on the pump slipping over/down/into something inside the tank. You gotta go slow and feel/wiggle things around to get it into the proper position to couple the pump plumbing to the reserve portion at the bottom of the tank. It's kinda like slipping a hose over a pipe or something but there's no way to see what it is. All Braile.

The only PITA after that is/was compressing the sealing rubber ring enough to start the lock-ring. Little tricky but it's not bad if you get the pump installed/positioned correctly.

I really enjoy working on my older XJ. Parts always seem to be in stock and there's places like this forum to bounce ideas/information around. I've owned and worked on my stuff for decades and this '89 XJ is the best I've ever had with regard to service/repair.

I'm getting ready to replace mine today, I've got an '88. Any pointers you got for me?

I noticed you said you didn't need to drop the tank, I like the way this sounds. The pump does seem fairly easy to get to...I'm just a newb though...been getting my hands dirty with mine for about a year now, that's it.

Last time( about a year ago) I went to NAPA they asked which pump my Jeep had, they said there was two. Anyone know which two they might have been(I'm going to NAPA this afternoon after work) or how to tell which one I go(other then pulling it and looking)?

Thanks for your help guys

JstSurrender said:
I'm getting ready to replace mine today, I've got an '88. Any pointers you got for me?

I noticed you said you didn't need to drop the tank, I like the way this sounds. The pump does seem fairly easy to get to...I'm just a newb though...been getting my hands dirty with mine for about a year now, that's it.

Last time( about a year ago) I went to NAPA they asked which pump my Jeep had, they said there was two. Anyone know which two they might have been(I'm going to NAPA this afternoon after work) or how to tell which one I go(other then pulling it and looking)?

Thanks for your help guys
They are right you will need to pull your first and see which one you have.

It can be very confusing depending on which pump you get and your level of experience. I kinda regret the Pep Boys (Carter maybe?) pump but I'm old and experienced so I managed to do a good swap with the pump bracket and I caught the seemingly reverse polarity of my replacement pump.

That pump polarity could have someone scratching their head for a long time because if reversed at the motor, it will run in the wrong direction and fail to pump. Also cause all kinda problems if you don't reverse the electrical connections on the pump itself. Not in the wiring harness/connector.

The rubber mounting grommets supplied were different so there was also some careful fitting on my part to insure nothing could ever fall apart inside the tank.

I didn't have a brass drift handy so I flattend a short length hard copper pipe on one in the vice and used that instead. Worked fine for removing/installing the lock ring. Wash everything down good so it's as clean as possible before starting-in.

Getting it back together properly will depend on your "feel" finding the hole the return line fitting slips into inside the tank. If the outer mounting flange is angled and/or doesn't seat correctly, you probably missed it. I actually felt it best when I got everything close and lightly dragged the bottom fitting of the pump across the bottom of the tank. Pay attention and go slow, you should be able to feel it when it will slip-in.

1st pulled mine out without de-pressurizing the system or disconnecting things to determine which one I had. Dropped it back in, drove to the store, got back and did it for real this time. The lock-ring is the easy part. Sorting out any mounting/electrical differences is just good mechanical/electrical ability. Fitting it back into the tank is the "art" of feeling for the right fit.

One caution: The return line that is part of the pump bracket assembly, has a conical shaped ruber gromet on the end that fits into the hole every one is talking about. When you remove your pump assembly, insure it comes out of the tank still attached to the return line. If not, I'd recommend removing the tank to reinstall the assembly. Trying to insert the tube back into the grommet while it's still in the tank will be very frustrating, at the least, and pulling the tank is not that difficult.

Well, I had a defective pump for sure so once I got the new pump(that worked) things went fairly well. Getting the tank up and down was pretty challenging but I managed to do pretty well granted I was by myself. Now that I know what Im' doing if I need to replace it again I don't think I'll need to pull the tank. I appreciate all your guys help. thank you!!

~Scott

I just did the swap on my 1990.

When I put the new fliter/pump in, I knocked the filter off while trying to get everything to seat.

I pulled the pump and such out, and fished in the tank for 30 minutess with a hook, trying to find the dang filter, but couldn't.

I had another filter to use, so I figured that the only problem that loose filter could cause was to get caught in the float, and my fuel guage would be inaccurate. Not a huge deal. I can use my trip odometer and just fill up every 200 miles!!!

I don't think there are any connections that it could loosen by just bumping against it.

I didn't want to drop the tank since it was over half full. I'll probably drop the tank and fish it out sometime when the tank is empty.

Anyone see any problem with letting that filter just float around in there?

Cottontail said:
I just did the swap on my 1990.

When I put the new fliter/pump in, I knocked the filter off while trying to get everything to seat.

I pulled the pump and such out, and fished in the tank for 30 minutess with a hook, trying to find the dang filter, but couldn't.

I had another filter to use, so I figured that the only problem that loose filter could cause was to get caught in the float, and my fuel guage would be inaccurate. Not a huge deal. I can use my trip odometer and just fill up every 200 miles!!!

I don't think there are any connections that it could loosen by just bumping against it.

I didn't want to drop the tank since it was over half full. I'll probably drop the tank and fish it out sometime when the tank is empty.

Anyone see any problem with letting that filter just float around in there?

no prblem...it cant really get caught in the float since it rides IN the fuel anyhow...

but I just changed my pump....and accidently knocked off a connection wire, and had to take it out again....then this morning I had a leak 'cause I didn't get the seal in their properly.

Thank god for grease. :D or thank someone....guess I'll call valvoline ...

Back