• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

(Grind # J4.0 X4 250L-13) Anyone have this cam installed?

fjxj0103

NAXJA Forum User
01 XJ - Stock engine

I’ve been looking for a good mild cam, but being a post 98 engine that was always a PITA being that they changed to the retainer instead of the bolt and spring.

Finally, one day I found one, brand new design (I think, lol) for the 99-06 motors. I wanted to wait a bit for someone else to try it out first. So here I am months later, has anyone ran this cam yet? I’m looking to possibly get one.

Cant post images cause I don’t have the VIP thing so I’ll have to type all the specs, great...

Grind #: J4.0 X4 250L-13
Operating range: 900-5500 (not an xpert but I think that’s pretty dang good right? Considering the stock limiter is 5250.)
Hydraulic flat tappet of course
Adv. intake dur.: 250
Adv exhaust dur.: 258
Intake dur. @ .5”: 205
Exhaust dur @ .5”: 213
Intake lift: 488
Exhaust lift: 507
LSA: 113*

Is installing that ($256) and a TUPY head a good “first step” upgrade? Or should I just save for a stroker kit? Planned on it anyway soooo yeah, just thought I’d do this first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a pretty radical cam, who's the manufacturer? You are also not limited to a cam that fits your year, my 2000 got the earlier years cam installed in it when I built my stroker.

That's a pretty radical cam, who's the manufacturer? You are also not limited to a cam that fits your year, my 2000 got the earlier years cam installed in it when I built my stroker.

The manufacturer is Comp Cams, can’t be too radical cause it says I can use the stock springs and lifters. Also yes I’ve heard about people swapping to the older style, is it worth doing, never planned on putting anything really extreme in it other than a 4.6 stroker kit.

If you're thinking of doing a stroker, wait and do a cam then. You're going to probably want more cam at that point anyway.

The manufacturer is Comp Cams, can’t be too radical cause it says I can use the stock springs and lifters. Also yes I’ve heard about people swapping to the older style, is it worth doing, never planned on putting anything really extreme in it other than a 4.6 stroker kit.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I wouldn't do that cam without good springs and it's got more lift than my stroker(Comp cam 68-232-4). The main reason for the early cam is so you can run a good timing chain set like Cloyes or Rollmaster

In terms of waiting, you drive a fair point, however I’ve heard about people having issues with low vacuum on the bigger cams, this is the one of my two vehicles with working A/C therefore I DD this thing during the summer so I want at least some drivability.

Well I wouldn't do that cam without good springs and it's got more lift than my stroker(Comp cam 68-232-4). The main reason for the early cam is so you can run a good timing chain set like Cloyes or Rollmaster

I see, yes I was actually gonna do the 232-4 if I had swapped to the older style, I’d probably also just get springs just because, that valve cover hasn’t been opened since it was put on 20 years and 200k miles ago lol.

Also forgot to mention, Cloyes does actually make a heavy duty timing set for post 98 engines :cool:. In the past few years, I've been seeing an increasing amount of support for my 4.0 in terms of that stuff, hence this "new" camshaft.

Also forgot to mention, Cloyes does actually make a heavy duty timing set for post 98 engines :cool:. In the past few years, I've been seeing an increasing amount of support for my 4.0 in terms of that stuff, hence this "new" camshaft.

A roller chain? Either way you need to put the back in of the cart! You can't build a good motor from the outside in. You also need to get a good head before you any internal motor work. If your trying to prepare for a stroker, start with a throttle body, injectors, and a crankshaft.

A roller chain? Either way you need to put the back in of the cart! You can't build a good motor from the outside in. You also need to get a good head before you any internal motor work. If your trying to prepare for a stroker, start with a throttle body, injectors, and a crankshaft.

Bigger crankshaft first? sure, but It’s already got neon injectors cause the old ones rusted out and started leaking, and it has the stock intake box on it so I don’t think putting something like a 62mm throttle body on it would make any difference other than slowing down intake velocity a bit, it’s just not worth it is what I’m thinking unless I was slapping on a turbo or something, I’ve looked up what people thought about that upgrade and they don’t seem impressed in the slightest.

Have you had this conversation with Russ?

Russ is the 4.0 guru, learn his name for your own good! His business is Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines and it's where everyone that is anyone goes.

Oh! Now I know who your talking about, just took me a second to recall that memory lol. I’ll have to hit him up when I got the time and budget, being out of the house for almost 60 hours a week SUCKS, just now had a break today.

Rcp . What does the seat of your pants dyno say about the stroker? Im not sure dyno numbers say theres much return on the investment. But numbers aren't everything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If you think my dyno numbers aren't worth much, can I say that I have been wanting to go to Firebird Raceway and run there tell anything about "seat of the pants feeling"!

On a side note torque wise(plus my killer transmission) when I was pulling my 4000lb trailer a couple week ago I could easily accelerate on the up-hill sections of the road!

I have not seen any 4.0 stroker or otherwise produce dyno numbers worth investing time any money into the project.

Had no idea you had a dyno or one you use to get numbers, that's a pretty good tuning tool. So does but dyno correlate with dyno numbers or does the placebo affect elevate the but dyno

Or the other way around
Maybe more tourqe makes drivable more maybe better fuel mileage above and beyond what the numbers sujest.

Trailer towing is definitely a positive indication. I doubt I could tow a trailer of any weight and pass cars in flat ground. Would probly just hunger down and run 55 is wrapping 3000 plus.

I’m just aiming for like 275hp 300tq, the most I’ve ever towed with my brick was a big dump trailer weighing like 2500.

Back