• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust on the Roof

martness

NAXJA Forum User
Any one else have paint peeling off their roof, I have a 2000 Black and it started with a couple little curls and continued open up into half dollar rust pockets all over the roof. i'm not in a hot sun area (OHIO) and it not happening anywhere else on the body I've had a bodyman look at it and he thought it was a factory problem.

Would sanding it down not get rid of the rust??? I have a small speck on my roof that I'm going to tackle soon.

Sanding works fine, blasting is usually less labor intensive and can get into smaller cracks and crevasses that your fingers can't. If it's small just hit it with some paper on your finger and touch up with those little bottles or color matched paint that look like nail polish.

I'm in the process of sanding down my hood, fender tops, hatch top and roof due to paint peeling. (Just came in to check my email and jump on the forum.) The factory paint was peeling due to poor adhesion. The sun just make the problem worse. I was able to remove all the paint from my hood and roof with a razor blade...I shouldn't be able to do that. All the horizontal surfaces have this problem on my jeep. I have been taking pics of the process. The vertical surfaces are all fine, except for a few dings here and there.

As far as the rust I sand in down completely with 80 grit to bare metal, , spray it with etching primer,do any bodywork required, 2K primer, block with 150, more bodywork if required then final sand with 320, prep then shoot the color.

No problem so far. That is the way I was taught here at the local college. I know there are two schools of thought on this.
Edit....I just looked this up in my text book to make sure and it says filler on bare metal then primer (or over etching primer). The primer can be self etching and or 2k.

Last edited:
Back