• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starter died i think, any replacement ok?

I simply replaced the solenoid and brushes on mine several years back and it has been going strong ever since.

You can find some useful info here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1115001

I am not particularly fond of the reman stuff because I have no clue which corners they chose to cut.

I recently replaced mine with a new Bosch. I too would
avoid the remanufactured starters.

For anything that leaves you stranded I usually pony up for a dealer part. Long term its usually cheaper, but I take my Jeep across country through rural areas. Getting stuck because of cheap parts is usually more expensive than the cost of a good part. Getting stuck because of deferred maintenance is another way to spend a ton of money. I haven't applied this to starters because I haven't needed one. I have had good luck with Auto Zone Duralast Gold parts. I have a 0% return rate with their alternators and cam synchronizers. And the nice thing with Auto Zone is that no matter wherever you are in the country, and whatever receipts you carry, their computer knows you bought it and the warranty. That doesn't work with Advance or O'Reilly's. If you were in a pinch I'd probably try an Auto Zone Duralast Gold starter if you couldn't wait for one from the dealer.

Last edited:
You think it died or you know it did? Have you looked at cables an such? Clean the ends at the battery and the ends that go to the frame/block(ground). Also check the cable real good that is going to the starter, mine was bad.

With my first XJ I've had more issues with battery cables than the starter. Definitely check those first.

When I did have a bad starter on the 4.0 I swapped it with a reman from auto zone, like 16 years ago now. Replaced the alternator with a reman from advance auto in 2003 it was fine last year when I replaced it with a new unit because I was replacing almost everything that was powered by the belt drive. Both alternator and starter have lasted longer than factory parts with a lot more miles on them than the factory parts ever saw.

Remans can be good of course these parts were rebuilt in early 2000's the quality may have slipped since then.

Look at the reviews for the parts wherever you are thinking of buying, if it's got really high failure rates you should see some bad reviews. used parts and NOS mopar might be a good source for oem.

But I wouldn't shy away from another autozone starter for the 4.0 if I needed one. Napa has one of the best reputations right now for parts, most of the others (autozone, advance, O'Reillys) are using the same suppliers who just box the parts in house name brands.

On various cars I've used denso rebuilt starters, alternators and TYC new alternators with good results recently.

It also may be that the technology on the old 4.0 jeep is old enough the reman do ok rebuilding it.

But on most newer cars like say 2005 and up the remans have very bad failure rates I buy low mileage used parts when I had to replace the starter and alternator on my f150. same for the jeep, Toyota and Hyundai I work on, I usually source low mileage used because average remans fail quickly. On the Toyota I sourced denso radiator and rebuilt alternator because they were the sources for Toyota. On the commander I did use the best grade rebuilt alternator advance had so far so good on that.

For electron parts like CPS and such mopar is the way to go. Average parts suppliers are all using Chinese knockoffs which fail very quickly. Napa is the only company worth taking a risk on for electronic parts but try to get mopar on electronic sensors when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You can hope everything is replaced, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Far too easy and profitable to say "that bearing is good enough to last the 90 days to get it past the warranty", or any number of similar things.

Back