• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you need to drill the factory track bar mount for an RE TB?

CMNCHE

NAXJA Forum User
Got an Re adjustable track bar and the bolt won't fit through my factory mounting hole at the frame end. Is this a common problem? Just drill it out? And no it is not the bar that requires the special bracket.

Sorry to resurect this thread and/or hijack it. I'm currently helping a friend install a RE lift and adjustible track bar and I've got two dilemmas:

1. The 5/8 bit I have has too large a shank to be used with any of my hand drills - should I just use a rat tail file in the hand drill and do my best to open the hole up? How critical is the tolerancing for the 5/8 bolt hole in the frame that the heims rod end attches to?

Is there an easier way to either use the drill bit I have or find a better bit with a smaller shank? If you have a solution (ie the appropriate bit or a drill that will work with my 5/8 big with approx 1/2" shank) and live in SW Washington, drop me a pm.

2. What adjustments need to be made to the steering arm and the tie rod end that attaches to the pitman arm? Should these be left as stock with the track bar taking up any adjustment or will the steering linkage that attaches from the pitman arm to the passenger steering knuckle need to be adjusted for proper alignment?

Thanks,

Jason Griffith

Find,beg,borrow a drill,and adjust as necassary to center the axle,I adjusted the steering wheel after,I also added a drop pitman.

Well I'm really more curious if I need to get another drill (the motorized thing with the trigger) that has a different chuck on it or if I need to get another drill bit (the fluted cutter with the 5/8 diameter) that has a different shank. Obviously one of these is easier to find than the other. Any thoughts which direction I should look.

Jason

You can find the bit at Harbor Freight tools (Cheapest route) Or go to Lowe's, Home Depot or Sears and get a good cordless (18v or higher) drill. If you plan on other mods the drill will come in handy.

Neil

It's a tapers TRE hole, so its alot narrower at the top.

A rat tail file is going to take way too long to drill it out. When I did mine I had the same dilemna, I had the bit but my drill was too small. I ended up putting a dremel grinding stone in the drill and it still took a long ass time to get it ground out.

In the end, I wheel pretty often, and I wish I woulda went with the extreme duty. Having a double shear mounting point would've been way better.

Make sure you tighten the ever living shiiiiit outta that track bar. Then in a few days tighten it again. The bolt will stretch, so the re-tighten is crucial. If you dont, you'll start noticing after about a week that theres a crunching noise when you steer. That means the track bar is loose, and what you're hearing it the threads on the trackbar bolt grinding around in the hole of the bracket.

Hey guys I'm in the process of putting my RE track bar as well. Any suggestions on getting the frame mount side off? Ive got a tie rod seperator but it's giving me one hell of a fight. The other problem, my lower mount bolt broke and I'm soaking the nut end to get the rest out. Did I do something wrong? What size bolt is this and can I get replacement parts?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

byadao said:
Hey guys I'm in the process of putting my RE track bar as well. Any suggestions on getting the frame mount side off? Ive got a tie rod seperator but it's giving me one hell of a fight. The other problem, my lower mount bolt broke and I'm soaking the nut end to get the rest out. Did I do something wrong? What size bolt is this and can I get replacement parts?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Tip for getting the TRE out of the upper taper:
1. Hit it hard
2. Hit it harder
3. Hit it again
4. Repeat as necessary

Got it out finally, I hit it hard for an hour and just finally got the wife's approval to get more tools! ;) So I got a pickle fork set and an impact hammer for my brother's compressor. I swear it took 30 seconds or less!!! Picked up the nut retainer assembly from the dealership and off wheelin!!!

Thanks for the input.

Back