• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a DD/mild trail XJ

jms

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, newbie to XJ's here.
I've been wheeling my K5 for some 7 years, but methinks it may be time to get something smaller and more practical than that fullsize.
So I've been thinking about getting an XJ, should be a 4-door, with the 4.0 I6, and I need AC for some creature comforts. I've started to look at some in the range of '89-'92, under $3k - not sure whether that's a realistic figure, but it's a start. I'd like to lift it a bit, put a locker in the rear, and run my leftover 33x10.5/15 BFG ATs; I'd like to be able to run trails like Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike or Poison Spider in Moab, but not the really hard stuff like Helldorado or Rusty Nail (so, no 60's and King shocks or exocage etc.).
I could use some advice for shopping around, such as what to look for, what are weak points, what tranny/axles etc. to look for or stay away from. I don't mind working on it myself (I've done suspension, motor, brakes, and interior on my K5), but I don't want to get a total beater; it ought to be a nice runner that doesn't incur the wrath of the Homeowner's association. So, any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks, michael

Given that range you have a couple options, I'll chime in with a few and the experts can fill in the specifics, pros and cons, and anything I left out.

pre 91' you have closed cooling system renix engines, plenty of writups on electrical mods, you may find a D44 rear axle in an 88'(wagoneer models?)89' if lucky? otherwise it's a D35.

91 and later you get the open cooling HO engine and newer electrics, and at some point the chrysler 8.25 axle comes in to play but can't remember exactly what year, 92?, 93 I know for sure.

you will have a D30 front axle either way, but there is a disconnect an non for certain years, don't remember the specifics there.
the D35 or 8.25 are less than ideal for 33's and each have pros and cons, for example 8.25 slightly beefier but fewer locker options are available .
lifting and tire fitting should be the same accross the board. Good luck in your search.

Back