• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear 4 link coil overs

allenmcclure7

NAXJA Forum User
So the wife and I and wanting to run the Rubicon trail for our tenth anniversary. I've got seven years to build our xj. I've got a 6.5" rough country long arm radius kit for the front. We want to four link the rear with coil overs. I'm at a loss as to how to determine the travel length I would need for a 6.5" lift. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out? Please.

That is kind of an impossible question to answer, not knowing anything about if you are designing the rear 4 link yourself or going with a kit, where you are planning on mounting the coil overs - are you going up into the cab for your mounting location or keeping them under the body? What axle are you going to run, full width, stock? You need to have an idea where you want to mount the coil overs, then cycle your suspension, determining how much travel you want, taking into account your driveline & when it will bind - lots to do to figure this out. OR you can just buy a kit like Ironman4x4 has and just swap out the coil mounts they provide for coil overs. That being said, the length of the coil in these kits and the length of your coil over is really limited by the body. There really isn't a ton of space in the rear of an XJ unless you go up into the bed.

My advice is don't put off tomorrow what you can do today. A coil-over XJ is probably a lot of fun, but do you really need it? My XJ has a Clayton coil conversion and it was fun to drive on the Rubicon, but my friends with rear leaf XJs had just as much fun as I did. What made my Rubicon trip an unforgettable experience was driving the trail with my friends here on NAXJA. Your Jeep on 6.5" lift is fine as it is. Go drive the Rubicon this summer with your friends, don't wait seven years. Plan for this summer and get it done.

If you can stretch out your trip for another 4 or 5 days add the Dusy Ershim trail to your itinerary.

My advice is don't put off tomorrow what you can do today. A coil-over XJ is probably a lot of fun, but do you really need it? My XJ has a Clayton coil conversion and it was fun to drive on the Rubicon, but my friends with rear leaf XJs had just as much fun as I did. What made my Rubicon trip an unforgettable experience was driving the trail with my friends here on NAXJA. Your Jeep on 6.5" lift is fine as it is. Go drive the Rubicon this summer with your friends, don't wait seven years. Plan for this summer and get it done.

If you can stretch out your trip for another 4 or 5 days add the Dusy Ershim trail to your itinerary.

Ditto.

I have done the rubicon on far less lift 33s with open diffs. Coil overs are cool but not necessary.

And agreed dusy is amazing.

Ok been a couple so I've decided not to go all out. 6.5" long arms are in. Rear I just put new leafs with 4" angled lift blocks. Ordered extended shocks and brake lines. Getting ready to install a 01 intake. DUI coil and wires. Flowcool high flow water pump. Exhaust upgrades coming soon.

Back