• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New 1991 XJ Mild Build

I figured it out, your in Frisco texas not "San Francisco" your location led me down a different path!

Lol @ chickenbot living in CA

Welcome OP. Dont think it was mentioned, but can't body lift these.

Build sound like a fun one. XJs are a badass platform to build. Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Not a junkyard lift but it's cheap and rides great
ZJ upcountry coils (moog cc782) new 66$ eBay
2" coil spacer =3.5" lift
Rear 2" iron lift blocks and new ubolts
1-2" lift shackles.
T-case dropped 1", although your 91 May not need it.
ZJ tie rod
Xj 8.25 rear-jeep liberty 8.25 disc bolt on
I've got JK moabs(cheap) with 265-70-17s
I did splurg on shocks though I'm running bilstien 5160's
Rides better than my LJ on 35's did
Back from a long stint. Great list. Thank you very much. XJ coming in October. Friend is giving it to me for FREE!

Lol @ chickenbot living in CA

Welcome OP. Dont think it was mentioned, but can't body lift these.

Build sound like a fun one. XJs are a badass platform to build. Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks, should be fun. I’ve been gone for awhile since we’re preparing to move 2,000 miles. This will be my first XJ

My first XJ was a 90 2 door sport, similar to yours. With the factory track-lock rear diff, 31s on stock wheels and a 4 inch suspension it was very capable. The only mods were suspension and armor - no driveline mods at all.

rock sliders are a great upgrade
a basic lift with 3.5 to 4 inch springs front and rear - possibly shackles too
Stay with softer spring rates 180-200# if you want compliance
Tire rub should not be a problem at all with 31s on stock wheels - 32s may require a combo of bump stops and slight fender trimming
Ranch 9000s may be a good choice for the adjustable dampening for large loads
Sport Old Man EMU shocks work great on my 97 (load stability and sporty but not rough)
A double sheer or standard upgraded track is fine lots of them out there.
Front suspension can be just lower arms and springs (this is sufficient for light rock crawling and reasonable flex) - or get more modified from there like Iron Rock long arm..
Sway bar disconnects are a must.
A headlight harness is a must (radically improves wattage to bulbs and, makes lights much more effective and safer.
The only form of lift is suspension (unibody) 3-4 inches is fine for your purpose and driveline issues will be minimal to none.
The closed radiator system is weird, but mine worked fine for years (in California)

Have fun!
Awesome, this is great help, looks almost like a perfect list.

Well, update, I see there are no coil springs with that Zone lift linked to above. Can I just add those independently? This is a 91' XJ. I acquire it in about three weeks. It's been a long ride getting this rig, but I live 2,000 miles away. So, I will be picking it up, changing all the fluids, diffs, transmission, TCase, oil, new air filter, checking the spare, and making the journey home.

It's just the rear add a leaf shackles and ubolts. Nothing else. 31s you can get away with lots of trimming and proper bump stop on stock if you wanted. 3.5" would be plenty for 31s. 2" would work too with some trimming.

Another question, do 91' XJ's have a built in rake from the factory? If so, how much. I'm thinking of doing a 4.5" lift up front and 3.5" rear. Of course, I could always do a spacer up front, but the RE springs I am looking at are only $75 and the 3.5" are $122, so it just saves money, and this is an easy but cheap build.

It's just the rear add a leaf shackles and ubolts. Nothing else. 31s you can get away with lots of trimming and proper bump stop on stock if you wanted. 3.5" would be plenty for 31s. 2" would work too with some trimming.

Thanks for the reply. I see you are running a lunchbox in the rear. Which one are you running? How are the road manners? I've run one in the front of a TJ, but never in the rear.

I got an aussie in the WJ it's being put right now so cant comment a lot on it just yet. I ran one in the front of my XJ and did fine. Just loud on turns. Expect it to he about the same in the WJ

No they don't have a factory "rake".

Well, I finally have the XJ in my possession. It’s pretty cool. Clear coat is gone on the hood and roof, sides are ok. A coffee creamer lid was being used as the gas tank cap, so I fixed that. Changed the Transmission fluid to Redline MTL. Changed the gear oil. The interior was really dirty. My father in law worked in there and got it all nice. I’d leave a pic if I knew how!

Is it common for the thermostat’s to go out on these? The temperature is reading about 160 max. I expected it to run about 210.

Changed the Transmission fluid to Redline MTL.

Isn’t MTL gear oil? — Hope you have a manual transmission

As for the thermostat — it’s no different than any other thermostat — yes they get stuck open — you better take a look and see what’s in there — might be missing completely

Also the dash temp gauges are known to be inaccurate

I do have a manual transmission, 5-speed AX15.

Drove the rig from TX to WA. The thermostat was reading about 130*, so I stopped in CO and replaced it. Now it is running 195* consistently. A win!

This thing is leaking oil. I am hoping it is the PCV and CCV, but it could be the RMS. I’ll replaced the PCV and CCV first, then see how that goes.

It needs a lot of love. The spare was manufactured in 1990. The leaf springs are practically flat. The coils I’m sure are sagging bad. All the exterior trim needs to be cleaned, scuffed, cleaned, adhesion promoter, and topcoat. I think I’ll go with SEM. The glove box has a broken floor. That’s where all the hot air was going as I was trying to figure out the heater/AC. I’ll have to repair the large hole. All the door window seals are cracking. There is no headliner. The bumpers need to be painted. The factory pinstriping is so cool, but I can’t find replacement for the 2-door version. Tailgate hydraulic supports were dead so I already replaced those. Win! Bought a Kenwood BT head unit from a friend on another Jeep forum ($40). Wheels could use some love, but not sure what to do there. I’d prefer some Moabs eventually. The hood and roof need paint and clear. That will be a project. The mirrors suck. Any suggestions on all of this are welcomed. Steering wheel is off center, so I’ll get to aligning it and centering the steering wheel this weekend. It’s going to warm up this weekend, so we’ll also be cleaning it all up the best we can and get to painting the bumpers.

Back