• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going from 3.5 front to 4.5 front

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone,
1998 jeep Cherokee xj 4.0 4wd 217k miles
My current lift is 3.5 front and 4 rear.
This was done with the following:
Springs and shocks, sye, shims in rear, extended brake line, iro track bar with drop kit, sway disconnects and lower controls (uppers coming).

My lift is stiff in the rear due to oem shackle setup. I dont want to cut up my jeep and slider shackle eliminator seem to just flatten your springs so a "zero lift" shackle relocation is out of the question.

Bolt on shackle relocation adds 1-1.5 lift which will probably make my lift look a little silly. I've done some homework and I'm getting conflicting info. If I was to add am extra inch to the front (bringing it to 4.5 inches) can I do so with no further aside from larger springs? I have to measure my shocks but assuming they are long enough if like to pursue this option.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm just trying to find out if my 3.5 left hardware will be adequate at 4.5 assuming my shocks are long enough

My biggest concern would be the need for DB's or LA's.

My biggest concern would be the need for DB's or LA's.
I've heard that before and sure long arm will give me better stability and flex offroad but right now I'm on a bit of a budget. How would short arm vs long arm affect on road drivability

I've heard that before and sure long arm will give me better stability and flex offroad but right now I'm on a bit of a budget. How would short arm vs long arm affect on road drivability

plenty of people on the road without long arms or drop brackets at various heights. its subjective to you, and what you consider a good or bad ride. but it wont instantly turn the vehicle into a death trap.

It's not unsafe in any way but you will notice the increase "harshness" of the ride.

It's not unsafe in any way but you will notice the increase "harshness" of the ride.
Well the whole point of the relocation brackets was to reduce the harshness because my back end is so stiff it sends my spine through my skull. What about just removing the small leaf from the leaf pack. Would this ruin my stability? Just trying to soften things up in the back of the truck

That wouldn't hurt anything, the trick is to figure out the combination.

Who's leaves are you running?

Running rubicon express. Coils up front ride so nice. My coils, leaves and shocks are all Rubicon express. This thing can perform emergency lane maneuvers at 75 no problem. My only concern is that removing that bottom one will make it a little sloppy. I have my sways connected as well although the front ones have quick disconnects for when the going gets crooked

And here is a picture. Thought about removing or flipping the bottom leaf upside down
a692f6459926a51b960cafee71dd440d.jpg

Yikes, I be tempted to just oil them!

BTW, don't think those are RE leaves. RE doesn't cut their leaves that way plus they use plastics sliders

Back