• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Battery Cables for XJ?

Psyker said:
Buy the parts from a company like delcity.net make your own. That way you can choose type of connection, wire guage, etc.
I like this idea, at least my '95 XJ and reasonably assuming most late model XJ's have multiple lines and connections for the battery cables. This makes using universal battery cables difficult, and I've already priced the OEM cables, even from the low cost mail order dealers the cables are well over $100.

My guess, with a little work you could make youself good replacement battery cables for you XJ for $40.

Rick Anderson said:
I like this idea, at least my '95 XJ and reasonably assuming most late model XJ's have multiple lines and connections for the battery cables. This makes using universal battery cables difficult, and I've already priced the OEM cables, even from the low cost mail order dealers the cables are well over $100.

My guess, with a little work you could make youself good replacement battery cables for you XJ for $40.

I have made my cables in the past. Given the prices I have seen on 5-90s site, he has the cheapest prices. Cable prices around me seem expensive.

When I upgrade, I will go with his cables.

x2 on 5-90's cables are the best I've seen. If I were going to buy some it would be his...

However, I still made my own. I just went down to the local welding supply store and picked up some 3/0 welding cable and soldered some ends on it and saved myself some money.

MogifiedXJ said:
x2 on 5-90's cables are the best I've seen. If I were going to buy some it would be his...

However, I still made my own. I just went down to the local welding supply store and picked up some 3/0 welding cable and soldered some ends on it and saved myself some money.

How much was it per foot for that cable if you don't mind me asking?

I purchased some 0 gauge from a stereo shop for $5 per foot.

Doing dual batteries on my CJ, I got 5ft. $25 for cables. Then battery terminals at $10 each for the multi input type like the stereo guys have. Makes it easy to hook up extra stuff. Then another $10 for 2 ends in copper that I smashed with a hammer to connect to the alternator.

total was about $55 for 2 cables at a total length of FIVE FEET. I think 5-90s prices for the XJ was about $75 and that replaced 5 or 6 power wires and grounds.

I relocated my battery to the back and had to get two ten foot peices...my father's welding company buys alot of supplies from them so they gave it to me free. I think it was scrap anyway. A good place to buy would be airgas.com I'm sure they're alot cheaper than any stereo shop.

I made mine with pieces from work. Granted I am in the army so heavy duty cables were easy to come by, but in the end it cost me... well nothing but my time.
Since the upgrade I have noticed lights being a tiny bit brighter, engine idles a little nicer, almost quieter I guess. But the big dif is poppin the hood and seeing those big ass cables glaring up at ya, "Now thats a Battery Cable"

Yep, Buy or Build.

I bought a 'generic" positive battery cable from AZ that had the pigtail on the battery connector to connect to my starter relay. I crimped on a new connector and it works fine. I bought a neg cable earlier that also had a pigtail and I used it to ground to the frame. Total cost was about $12.

Go with 5-90's cables...great price, great quality and your keeping the $$ within the NAXJA family. Check out his site, you'd be hard pressed to find a better cable for money.

to bump a few month old thread back to life, this all looks great, just one question.

has anyone seen the cables at walmart's battery area and used those? they had red and black 2 & 4 awg in various lengths, and had multiple different style terminals also. i think the brand was everstart, but they had others as well. it was all very cheap as well.

I went to a Electric parts store that serves business but since I paid in cash I got 0 gauge cable and big connectors and different color heat shinks and made my own. The old 4 gauge one became the ground replacing the small wire that was there.

Back