• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission is binding in reverse

1096xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ Limited. When I back up slowly everything seems fine, but if I get on the throttle while backing it acts like its binding in the driveline somewhere. It does it even worse backing up hill as I give it more throttle. When I back up my drive way it feels like its locking up and makes a hard rubbing or growling noise.................. Any help would be appreciated. Its an automatic with the NP 242 transfer-case

1096xj said:
I have a 1990 XJ Limited. When I back up slowly everything seems fine, but if I get on the throttle while backing it acts like its binding in the driveline somewhere. It does it even worse backing up hill as I give it more throttle. When I back up my drive way it feels like its locking up and makes a hard rubbing or growling noise.................. Any help would be appreciated. Its an automatic with the NP 242 transfer-case
That don't act like a transmission problem I would look at the rear axle ring and pinion.
You should also feel it coasting down hill soon.

Another ballpark guess - my old '89 XJ did something similar to yours, and I was pretty confident it was related to 210,000 mile-old motor/tranny mounts. It never seemed to do it in 1st gear, but in reverse I would get a groaning/pulsing feeling when backing up hills. It may be due to the driveline being torqued in the opposite direction under load.

A good way to simulate load on the coast side of your ring gear would be to ease down a hill with the shifter in the 1-2 position & trying to get some compression braking pushing against the wheels.

Actual mechanical problems in an AW4 seem so rare that I would put "transmission bind" at the bottom of your troubleshooting list.

I would check the transmission mount first thing. Bet it's hosed. Do all three (one transmission mount, two radiator mounts).

Sounds to me like the transmission is jumping UP when you're giving it gas backward and that is causing your U-Joints to bind. Fix it before you blow a joint.

I have new motor mounts and trans mount. Could it be the transfer case? I was thinking the chain was stretched and only affected it in reverse. Does that make sense? Drives fine in all forward gears.

my '95 did just about the same thing about two weeks before the rear end decided to leave me on the side of the road.

btw it was a chry.co. 8.25

1096xj said:
I have new motor mounts and trans mount. Could it be the transfer case? I was thinking the chain was stretched and only affected it in reverse. Does that make sense? Drives fine in all forward gears.
Well the chain don't drive anything in 2WD. I would drop the drive shaft and check backlash it should be no more than 1/16".
You can also try it with the rear shaft off and see if you still feel the binding.
It could also just be bad u-joints.

I seem to remember a thread just like this one and it was loose flex plate/bellhousing bolts that fixed it.

sounds like pinion bearings gone bad to me. due to the nature if the spiral, in reverse, the pinion will want to be "pulled" into the ring gear.

Ok...so how difficult is it to replace the bearings in the axle and set it up properly? Is there anyway to check the diff without taking it apart

1096xj said:
Ok...so how difficult is it to replace the bearings in the axle and set it up properly? Is there anyway to check the diff without taking it apart
First with the transmission in neutral and the t=case in 2wd check the backlash. if its less than 1/4 inch it not likely the rear end is the problem.
It takes lots of special tools to set the gears.

langer1 said:
It takes lots of special tools to set the gears.
Yeah, like maybe a $15 dial indicator gauge and a bench vise! If you want to get real fancy, add an inch-pound torque wrench.

IMO, the real bitch with setting up gears is not tooling, but the assembly time to do it right. However, if you are a good Jeeper, then you will enjoy the entire job, and it is a perfectly good time to upgrade.

Back