• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil consumption

chickenbot

NAXJA Forum User
93 4.0l ax15 np231 210k miles

so today I just did my oil change is I was just a little over on mileage (5723 miles) I change the oil every 5k so it has been 10723 miles since the last change.. well I didn't mean for it to go so long. only a half a quart came out. I haven't had any ticking or knocking noises. only thing Ive notices is that it gets warm fast but doesn't over heat unless I sit still. the oil pressure gague was sitting half way between the 0 mark and the next mark. I don't trust the pressure gauge and need to change the sending unit out with an oem one b/c it just jumps all around.

now has anyone ever experienced this? I have no oil in water. no water in oil. she doesn't smoke. she doesn't leak. spark plugs look normal.

I know I need to change/check my oil more often.

93 4.0l ax15 np231 210k miles

so today I just did my oil change is I was just a little over on mileage (5723 miles) I change the oil every 5k so it has been 10723 miles since the last change.. well I didn't mean for it to go so long. only a half a quart came out. I haven't had any ticking or knocking noises. only thing Ive notices is that it gets warm fast but doesn't over heat unless I sit still. the oil pressure gague was sitting half way between the 0 mark and the next mark. I don't trust the pressure gauge and need to change the sending unit out with an oem one b/c it just jumps all around.

now has anyone ever experienced this? I have no oil in water. no water in oil. she doesn't smoke. she doesn't leak. spark plugs look normal.

I know I need to change/check my oil more often.

Is it really half a quart or,..... Where did the half quart come from? Engine, transmission, transfer case?

Oof, you lost 4 quarts of oil without noticing a leak over 10k miles? I'd worry about it burning. It's not magic, it had to go somewhere.

Yea that's pretty bad. Doing that =sludge=engine failure. Most manufacturers say that normal oil consumption is 1qt in 3-5000 miles. So 10700 equals about 3.5 quarts. If you drained 1/2qt plus what's in the filter your consumption is not too bad, you just need to be more diligent abOut checking and changing. Fwiw, I change mine r always at 3000, the wife's xj at 4000 with synthetic. These are old engines on old tech, they require some amount of watching.

doesn't our jeeps take 6qts?
I also use Mobil 1 10w30 when doing my oil changes.. she runs like a champ now with the oil change.. I think better than before. weird

Back