• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans-go kit into aw4 - any thoughts coments.

I did the transgo kit on my jeep, I went with full race the first time and hated the bone jarring shifts. I redid it and did the truck setting for the 1-2 shift and did the race shift for the 2-3 shift (Same size hole drilled in the separator plate). I also left the stock accumulator springs in place and didn't mess with them. Now the shifts are quick without barking the tires at WOT.

I did all the hot rod shift settings on mine. I installed the full kit. Worked well. Mine too would chirp my 33s on the 1-2 shift but the 2-3 was nice a crisp. If you daily it just do the truck shift settings for 1-2 like said.

Don't lose your washer for the pressure regulator valve. It won't move that way...

How much does this kit run?

The transgo site has some places who sale it linked but none near me have a buy now price easily found via the website.

Im liking what Im seeing from the radesign set-up.. Trying to see price difference- install eaze goes to the radesign from the issues hear here... I really like the quick D to R ability too- just trying to see what the transgo offers that cant be had through the radesign shifter(s). Only negative being having to shift manually but all my other cars are standards so not a big knock for me.

Anyone else have pros and cons i should be aware of?

Last edited:
How much does this kit run?
Im liking what Im seeing from the radesign set-up.. Trying to see price difference- install eaze goes to the radesign im seeing... I really like the quick D to R ability- just trying to see what the transgo offers that cant be had through the radesign shifter(s). Only negative being having to shift manually but all my other cars are standards so not a big knock to me.

The 340-hd2 kit is about $90, but it is for the valve body and is not a "shifter".
The Radesigns is a "shift controller" and does nothing for the transmission itself.

The 340-hd2 kit is about $90, but it is for the valve body and is not a "shifter".
The Radesigns is a "shift controller" and does nothing for the transmission itself.

Right. So the work to the vb is considered a shift kit or am i misunderstanding what it does?

Where as the radesign actually bypasses the tcm and allows shift control.. Is this then still going to have the delayed shifting the trans has without the vb kit from trans go? I was thinking one or the other- and both offerings from radesign to have the shifter column for quick d to r and tcm bypass with manual 1-4.

Am i missing something?

Without the shift kit it will drive(shift) exactly like it does now, the Rad shifter will not change your shift characteristics.

BTW, IIRC the Rad set-up will trip the CEL (unless they resolved this).

Right- but with both of the kits from radesign is it then similar? Or would also need the transgo to elliminate the sluggish shifts?

You would need the trans go kit to fix the shift speed. The radesign kit basically replaces the factory shifter. The transgo kit does internal modifications to the trans including raising line line pressure over stock, drilling holes in valve body plate to increase fluid flow, changing various springs, etc. You could do one or the other or both, but they have different purposes.

I get that part.. The shifter wont do anything... But this will-

http://www.radesignsproducts.com/rail-controller.html

Basically bypasses the TCM... So shift points should be cleaner is my guess? Or would you still need the vapvebody kit from transgo?

This seems easier- Ive read the horror stories of dropping the valvebody multiple times... Just wondering if the manual shifter would get the same desired effects

BTW, IIRC the Rad set-up will trip the CEL (unless they resolved this).

Ive seen folks on youtube with it... No codes. It does say rail shifter vs 2 so maybe that got sorted?

I get that part.. The shifter wont do anything... But this will-

http://www.radesignsproducts.com/rail-controller.html

Basically bypasses the TCM... So shift points should be cleaner is my guess? Or would you still need the vapvebody kit from transgo?

This seems easier- Ive read the horror stories of dropping the valvebody multiple times... Just wondering if the manual shifter would get the same desired effects

Trans will shift exactly the same, it just shifts when you tell it to.

In other words, if it shifted "softer" before, it still will even if you can technically shift "faster".

The redesigns kit will not make it shift any faster. Only the trans go kit will do that.

I believe you guys... Just trying to figure out why then they have 2 products... If, as has been said, it is simply a shifter... Why have the rail shifter as well? If its the same thing as using the radesign shifter (which in my opinion is cool for the quick D to R and back)?

I mean... We can use the shifter to manually shift now... So i thought the rail shifter was to bypass the tcm making those shifts more instant, depending on throttle, as akin to a manual.

Cant see the importance of both designs is my hang up.. I get what the transgo kit does and at that price point find it well worth the effort to install

Just to add to my original thoughts on the subject...
https://youtu.be/ERYxiG9Isbs

Basically says what Ive been wondering. I forgot I saw this guy installed both RADesign products and raved about how it shifts after. Good explination if you care to sit through it

Last edited:
Back