• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearbox play when turned all the way

FlexJ17

NAXJA Forum User
My steering box when turned all the way to the left or right, has alot of rotational play(not up and down) but when the pitman arm is centered the play isn't noticeable. I'm talking 1/4" To 1/2" of play but only when all the way to left or right.

did you check your mounting bolts? any reinforcing done up front? front locked? tire size?

had the pleasure of replacing my steering gear about halfway through a trip to Arkansas a few days ago.

the bolts are 7/16" with 14 threads/inch. I needed 4" bolts because my spacer is a tad thicker than most. it's an incredibly crappy design. Will be going hydro assist soon.

If you pull it off, check the condition of inner frame rail. if this has been an ongoing issue, you're frame rail is likely deformed and allowing it to flex when you apply pressure either direction. really need at least 3/16" steel on outside, box the bottom in with some angle and you have some chance of it working ok. second gear I've put on it. I'm locked on 33's so it was matter of time.

Back