• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case shifting problems

Smittysjeep15

NAXJA Forum User
i was under my jeep new to me. It is 98 cherokee with shifting inside 2wd 4wd N 4low but the transfer case is a 242 witch has 2wd 4 parttime 4fulltime N and 4lo. The inside dosent match up is there a way i c i can be able to go to 4low. Because obvously they did a swap. is there away to modify it or do i have to get all new shifter and linkage.

Shouldnt be an issue.. Is it just not going into 4low? Whats happening? Have you looked at the shift pattern for the 242 and tried to follow its path? Back when i did the swap in my zj from 249 to 242, i ended up getting like 3 different shifter tabs, for lack of a better word.. To mate to my stock linkage and get all shift settings. This tab is what actually connects the linkage to the tcase. It may just be orientated the wrong way too. Its about an inch wide 3 long 1/4" thick.. And has a small rectangle punched out to mate to the tcase.

You can pop this off and shift it with some vice grips (bin der don dat)- but be sure to have the ebrake set with the yeep in N- and just be safe about it of course.

I even cut the 249 one (or one of em) to reorintate it until i found the right one.

Ive yet to get one of these:

http://www.boostwerksengineering.com/242-HD-Shift-Linkage-V20_p_27.html

But want one just to beable to fine tune it. A friend has one installed and shifting is butter. You can get the little emblem on the shifter at a jy.

Last edited:
Shouldnt be an issue.. Is it just not going into 4low? Whats happening? Have you looked at the shift pattern for the 242 and tried to follow its path? Back when i did the swap in my zj from 249 to 242, i ended up getting like 3 different shifter tabs, for lack of a better word.. To mate to my stock linkage and get all shift settings. This tab is what actually connects the linkage to the tcase. It may just be orientated the wrong way too. Its about an inch wide 3 long 1/4" thick.. And has a small rectangle punched out to mate to the tcase.

You can pop this off and shift it with some vice grips (bin der don dat)- but be sure to have the ebrake set with the yeep in N- and just be safe about it of course.

I even cut the 249 one (or one of em) to reorintate it until i found the right one.

Ive yet to get one of these:

http://www.boostwerksengineering.com/242-HD-Shift-Linkage-V20_p_27.html

But want one just to beable to fine tune it. A friend has one installed and shifting is butter. You can get the little emblem on the shifter at a jy.

I followed shift Patten I can push it into 4low but from inside not enough distance to go to 4 low. It engages all shifts manually from underneath but can't from inside only has room for 2wd part-time 4wd full time 4wd and netuel not enough room to go to 4 low.

Need the matching tab/lever I'd guess.

My 249 was either all-time 4x4 or 4low thats it. Never changed the shift lever or even the linkage or anything inside the jeep. Xjs came with either 231 or 242, so Id have to guess the correct little tab would do it.. The boostwerks linkage would help fine tune it too

put it trans in neutral. set parking brake. you can get underneath it and see why it's not shifting all the way to 4 lo. the stock linkage is pretty much sh!t, especially if you plan to wheel it. I was stuck at the back of a park one day when mine shifted for its last time. don't be that guy holding up your group, install new linkage today.

4 lo should be all the way forward. inspect the linkage and see what's keeping it from shifting.

azzydesignworks.com makes the kit I installed: https://www.azzysdesignworks.com/store/jeep-np231-transfer-case-linkage-kit
you can also adjust the throw of this ^ linkage so that it more closely matches the bezel. eventually you learn to feel when it engages.

i was under my jeep new to me. It is 98 cherokee with shifting inside 2wd 4wd N 4low but the transfer case is a 242 witch has 2wd 4 parttime 4fulltime N and 4lo. The inside dosent match up is there a way i c i can be able to go to 4low. Because obvously they did a swap. is there away to modify it or do i have to get all new shifter and linkage.

I didn't have any issues going from a 242 to a 241, but check your linkage adjustment. The bezel swaps right out and the gate is easy to replace or modify.

Does the Cherokee have a transfer case drop spacer installed ?

As suggested, install a stock 242 shift gate, and shifter bezel, and adjust the 4x4 shifter linkage mechanism. Confirm that the bronze bushing and none of the green 4x4 shifter linkage bushings are worn/damaged/missing.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Back