• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oxygen sensors

JCwarrior88

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone

I'm new to this forum so I am not sure if this is the right place for this question.

But anyways, I need to replace one of my O2 sensors and I am not sure which brand is best to replace it with.

I know to stay away from the Bosch sensors, but other than that I am clueless.

Considering I haven't had any trouble with Bosch, why are you keeping away? Bosch electronics have a good history.

Leaving that aside, Borg-Warner, Niehoff, and ACDelco have also been good to me - Delco probably about the best of the three, with Borg being typically easier to find in a pinch.

Bear in mind - while the later HEGO sensors are of the typical "voltage generating" (Titania) type, the earlier RENIX (1987-1990) HEGO sensors are "variable resistance" (Zirconia) type, which are fairly rare. While I don't recall the applications offhand, I think the 1991-up Titania HEGO sensors can be replaced with pretty much any narrowband unit used for domestic production vehicles - they just about all work on a 0 to +5VDC scale. Most of the other 4.0 sensors follow the standard "GM" curve for response, which allows for standard parts to be used and helps keep parts prices down.

5-90

I have seen some discussions on JeepForums.com about how bosch sensors don't work well with XJs.

How about Denso?
Also which is the cheapest but still a quality product?

Denso isn't bad, but around here is seems to be a little more spendy than I'd care to lay out - and I don't see why (I can be convinced to spend extra on parts with good reason - the trick is convincing me that there is a good reason.)

I like Bosch, and probably half of my replacement electrics and sensors are Bosch. No trouble here. I don't spend a lot of time at JF, so I can't evaluate the quality of the tech advice given there. Then again, I take pretty much everything with a significant grain of salt - comes of being a cynic.

ACDelco, Borg-Warner, and Niehoff have all been good parts for me as well, and usually easier to find than most other makes.

Given the circumstances that have eventually led to the production of the XJ et. al. by DaimlerChrysler, I don't think I'd even be mildly surprised to find that most of the OEMR parts now in issue have Bosch stamps on them.

For sensors, you'll find it's worthwhile to not go with "bargain basement" prices - get in the habit of spending a little more for a known good brand. I can't justify the spending of money on parts that are probably crap, and I never have. I see no reason to start now, and I see no reason why anyone else should. That doesn't mean that I'm going to buy the most expensive parts out there, but I've been through more than a few brands, and I've gotten some pretty good ideas about what works without putting you in the poorhouse or sending you to Georgia (in Colonial times, Georgia was a debtor's prison for England...)

5-90

JCwarrior88 said:
I know to stay away from the Bosch sensors, but other than that I am clueless.
Last I knew the OEM O2 sensors were Bosch. Why do you think you should stay away from them?

Eagle said:
Last I knew the OEM O2 sensors were Bosch.

hahaha that's ironic

I am going to go with Bosch. At Advance Auto they have a year warrantee. Not a bad deal.

Any suggestions on how to make the removal easier? It looks like it could be pretty stubborn...

I usually pull them while they're still fairly hot - that makes it easier.

Get yourself a pot of copper-based never-seez - it's got a higher service temperature. I won't use anything else on HEGO sensors, and if I have to pull one that I've changed, it comes out easily while it's still just warm.

If you don't have a HEGO socket - GET ONE! There's no sense in trying to fight this with a wrench, and you can't get a regular socket on it. You should be able to score the socket at your local for about $10, and it's worth the money.

5-90

I replaced mine about a year ago with a OEM, don´t know if it was a lemon or not. But had to replace it again. I´m now using a Standard Motor Products OE plus. That works well, made in the USA, is mid priced.
Did notice it idled better than my original OEM 02 sensor and the replacement OEM 02 sensor. I´ve used early Ford 02 sensors (in the past), that worked well, I just had to solder the Jeep plug on there.

I just tried replacing my down stream sensor with a bosch #13272. It's the part that 3 differant parts stores reccomended and they all looked the same. That sensor wouldn't fit in the hole cause it was wider at the tip. Any ideas if bosch changed the design or the right part #?

Go with Bosch....my last one was 10 years old. Just replaced with another Bosch. I was expecting a big struggle but it came out very easily. New ones come with anti-seez already on threads but maybe the copper anti-seez is the way to go. Cost was about $50.

>process went suprisingly smooth....that doesn't happen very often.... I am starting to worry

I know the feeling...I felt I did something wrong and installed it wrong. It just went too smoothly.

Having handled both, copper never-seez really IS the way to go for high service temperatures. I use the nickel (grey) stuff for general purpose, but spark plugs, lug nuts, and anything exhaust gets the copper (except manifold bolts, which get LocTite 272.)

I have noticed a difference. The copper doesn't cost much more than the nickel - it's just harder to find. Check machinst's supply houses and the like, and you should be ok.

5-90 :wierd:

Wow.., what an old post! Anyway, 5-90 you said: "...the later HEGO sensors are of the typical "voltage generating" (Titania) type, the earlier RENIX (1987-1990) HEGO sensors are "variable resistance" (Zirconia) type, which are fairly rare".

So, does that mean that I must obtain a 'rare' 02 type for 'proper' readings/&/ECU/etc., interfaces, or what? I have no electrical/electronics aptitude, and find that if I go to NAPA, or some such.., I want to be sure I can get the correct replacement, not just a sales transaction, and unneeded daymares. Thanks in advance.

As long as you given them the proper year you will get the correct sensor. Bosch are generally accepted as the best brand. Do not buy a universal sensor, get the OEM equivalent with the correct plug on the end. The Renix O2 sensors are not hard to get. Most parts stores stock them still.

It is only rare, in the sense that most vehicles since the early 90s use the voltage generating sensor. But the Renix jeeps were high volume production, and many are still around, so parts are still available, including the O2 sensor.

Get yourself a pot of copper-based never-seez - it's got a higher service temperature. I won't use anything else on HEGO sensors
5-90

on a side note of interest, the anti-seize that comes on the Bosch O2 sensor is actually comprised of small glass beads-- helps keep it from melting or running out of the threads over time.

I like Bosch sensors; have installed a bunch of them and never had a problem. Not sure where the hit on them came from, although I've seen it on other forums as well.

The only Bosch product I don't recommend for the XJ 4.0 are their spark plugs. I have personally seen it, and have seen a few other threads of others who have had mysterious misfires after installing Bosch plugs. Once the plugs are out of there, the misfire is gone. Plug gaps were fine here. Not all people have problems with their plugs, but enough for me to stay with Champions for 84-99 and NGK for 00-01. Not sure what mechanism is at work here (yet) with the Bosch plugs and the 4.0, but am looking into it.

Back