• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar frame mount

Hurricane06

NAXJA Forum User
Working through installing a lift on my 99 Sport. There was no way I was getting the frame side castellated nut off. Took the bracket off instead, hoping to get the nut off once I had it off for Jeep. On a side note the axle side bolt decided to break as well. Cut the axle side bolt and got the track bar out with the frame side bracket still attached. Cut the tie rod insert below the bracket. The nut is still attached to the pressed in bolt inside of the bracket. I have a JKS Adjustable track bar to replace the OEM trackbar. Can anyone recommend a track bar bracket that will accommodate the JKS track bar? Or am I better off drilling out the bolt/nut from the OEM bracket and reusing it?

Is that the JKS track bar that uses a stock frame side bracket ?

If you are looking to convert to a double sheer set-up, you would need to buy a track bar bracket that has "ears" that fit your JKS hardware. Edit: ( A bit more research finds that this idea won't work with the JKS track bar, the frame end mount is fixed. )

Last edited:
It is the one that goes with the standard track bar bracket. I saw StinkFab had one with the “ear” at 2 and 5/8 inches wide. Going to walk out and measure the frame side bushing mount of the track bar this morning.

Or am I better off drilling out the bolt/nut from the OEM bracket and reusing it?

Remember the hole is tapered so you do not want to damage it since the JKS track bar uses the same hole.
Have you tried applying a lot of heat to the bracket and stud before trying the remove the nut?
Put a torch on it.

What sort of end does the JKS trackbar use on the frame side? Does it use something like the factory tie rod end? Or something more like a Johnny Joint or heim joint?

I am running what I believe is a Rubicon Express 1600 (previous owner installed). It was originally set up with the factory track bar mount. When I plated the front end I replaced that mount with a Core 4x4 double shear bracket, rotated the heim joint, added a couple of misalignment spacers and a couple of grade 8 washers to fill out the space between the ears and it all works.

Eventually I hope to replace the heim joint with a Johnny Joint.

As long as the bar is adjustable and you can thread in a different type of end you can pick and choose the combination that best meets your needs.

It bolts on vertical like a ball joint but has a end like a johnny joint, it's definitely one of the down sides. I don't believe I have ever seen a "double shear" mount for one.

Is it adjustable?

Can you rotate that end 90 degrees?

I did a bit more research, and the JKS track bar MUST use a stock ( or stock configured ) TB frame bracket because the rotating adjustment is at the axle end, not at the frame end. The frame end orientation is fixed.

The stock TB bracket tapered hole is drilled to a larger straight hole, and a small tapered JKS insert is also used.

I would sell the JKS track bar and purchase a double sheer design track bar. Iron Rock Off-road makes a really nice double sheer track bar.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feed back Gents. I was able to get the cotter pin out. I then put it on a drill press to drill out the bolt. I got 1/4 bit through the bolt, then decided to try and get the nut off. Low and behold with less bolt there was less pressure and the nut let loose. Then put it on a vice and used a c-clamp with a socket to get the pressed in bolt out. Success!!! Took it to the sand blaster and cleaned up all the rust. Painted and re-installed it.

http://https://photos.app.goo.gl/iYL77G5C7gCqp2eb9
rY81yAL9D7FVsgYT8

BsrfNAgLXvCCXanu6

Vzf5RSvtGxYoS7K98

GErmx89Hggzqfd3J6

X7v8eCT3h1nJPY5w6

How much lift do you have?

The JKS will work as long as your not getting crazy flex, what kit are you using?

Daystar leaf shackles and spring spacers with bielstien 5100s. New Crown OEM HD springs with new OEM coils. Old Man Emu steering stabilizer, and JKS trackbar. Going to start a build thread soon.

Back