• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone else had issue getting waterpump to seal?

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I've having a heck of a time getting the inlet hose to the waterpumo to seal. I've had this issue with 2 different brands of water pumps and hoses. I recently upgraded the radiator and switched in a silicone hose I've had for awhile.

And today have a steady drip coming from the inlet of the water pump. Last time I had 2 hose clamps on it to keep it from leaking. I can't get this one to stop leaking either.

It's like the hose clamps don't want to sit square to the neck?

Ideal work drive style. I'll have to look for a narrow band clamp. I had tried the factory style last time and they didn't seal any better.

For leaky coolant/heater hoses I always put a thin film of RTV silicone on both the hose and the hose neck. Dry both sides and clean with some solvent. Kinda like a differential, let the RTV skin over slightly, loosely install the hose, and then wait 1/2 hour or so and tighten the hose clamps.

For leaky coolant/heater hoses I always put a thin film of RTV silicone on both the hose and the hose neck. Dry both sides and clean with some solvent. Kinda like a differential, let the RTV skin over slightly, loosely install the hose, and then wait 1/2 hour or so and tighten the hose clamps.

Hmm had not thought of that, have some Hylomer Blue that is good for this type of thing as it doesn't set up like silicone does. Guess I will be draining the radiator again. :confused1

I had a slow drip in the same place after installing a new lower hose. Solved it by using a constant pressure clamp. That's a bad place for a leak because the hose tends to fit on an angle to the inlet, and not square.

I had a slow drip in the same place after installing a new lower hose. Solved it by using a constant pressure clamp. That's a bad place for a leak because the hose tends to fit on an angle to the inlet, and not square.

I notice that with the hose clamps, they want to pull to the side as well.

The inlet is a headache for sure. It's a big hose right behind the power steering support bracket with limited access to the clamp. When using pressure testers on new/dry setup, I find that they will always leak unless I dip my finger in antifreeze and coat all mating surfaces. Have not needed to use RTV or anything like that...

Well I got it all to seal up using Hylomer Blue and a constant pressure clamp from the local CAT dealer.

And then the water pump started to leak from the weep hole. :doh::mad: And now get to tear it all back apart.

I just crank the hell out of the regular worm gear style ones, never had an issue.

Did you make sure the hose clamp is entirely on the neck of the waterpump not sitting a little crosswise on the barbed section? I could see that leaving a low clamping pressure area in two places if it was on a little angled. It's not in a very fun spot to work, naturally.

yeah the wider CAT clamp sealed fine, it's just leaking from another area now. That's the issue I usually have is the clamp ges crooked, guess that a bonus for the spring clamps ands they usually sit flush.

..........................And then the water pump started to leak from the weep hole. :doh::mad: And now get to tear it all back apart.

Are you sure it wasn't just a leak from the weep hole all along?

I had that in 89 XJ and first changed the hose four days ago, but ended up changing the water pump yesterday!

Originallyit sure looked like a leaky inlet hose connection when inspecting from under the Jeep, but instead it turned out to be a failed water pump shaft seal.

The weep hole is kind of hidden behind the pulley.

Are you sure it wasn't just a leak from the weep hole all along?

I had that in 89 XJ and first changed the hose four days ago, but ended up changing the water pump yesterday!

Originally it sure looked like a leaky inlet hose connection when inspecting from under the Jeep, but instead it turned out to be a failed water pump shaft seal.

The weep hole is kind of hidden behind the pulley.

Nope it was the hose first and then weep hole. I checked multiple time. You could see the coolant bubble from under the hose, wipe it off and it would reappear. Above the hose was dry. I got the lower hose to seal up and then the weep hole started leaking.

Anyways that was 2 water pump and 7 days ago so. Picking up a FlowKooler from Summit. Tried a parts store one and the casting was off enough it would not fit.

Man, you got some terrible luck. I've put so many garbage-tier parts store water pumps on 4.0s and never had this many problems with them.

If you can't get the gasket to seal on the latest one (the only failure I can think of that hasn't happened yet...) you can use a shop towel to form a siphon and drain the coolant below the level of the opening so that when you clean and dry the gasket surface it won't trickle across it as you're trying to seal it.

Man, you got some terrible luck. I've put so many garbage-tier parts store water pumps on 4.0s and never had this many problems with them.

If you can't get the gasket to seal on the latest one (the only failure I can think of that hasn't happened yet...) you can use a shop towel to form a siphon and drain the coolant below the level of the opening so that when you clean and dry the gasket surface it won't trickle across it as you're trying to seal it.

Yeah it's about normal for me. Lol

I fixed the coolant issue by jacking up the front of the jeep, coolant goes to the back.

The casting on the CarQuest pump hit the timing cover just a smidge and was hitting the lower mount on the power steering pump. The upper bolt by the timing cover did not have enough clearance for a socket.

update, FlowKooler from Summit showed up last night. I wasn't going to spend the extra bucks but noticed that they have a machined impeller now and for $86 buck it's wasn't that bad.

Fit and casting is notically better, lots more clearance everywhere and non of the issues from the Carquest pump. Also picked up a couple of the Gates Powergrip clamps, they are pretty slick.

q9GIHbXhAIy_WDIfWdkcts4X2Cli_5USJL6ySoVfyVTybDkN4Zc1WyUEqVjRvkES8Y9nxwLfOI3SyBsDaqYejl_0rh97ENKyDQBIi5MWanFDE51dIbirNLI16c_DVhEzVn8RhuZmtp_jB-c0fNQ_huoszUTYt6nFlkTsRp2knwGPwoINkAFYjPSO-BjfDS4kcu1GE03TRPAmsGX0WaEqY_szfPu6KB_x3HnAuoFVwgjKSpfJ9we_TDlmPOffNOAk8ZVKT3w0pdKE1rhtMXsY9_GkXC8tpHTGRHFExdxIznMxxCdfB5rPR5J56UpZQgMkITBaF1o4kyJitOOeB06F4wEEDTLpphi2bC5Kr9Uy2FxyIPYl0u7mxdFvdh3Y8DD3lV7lNBgkmumfhGKQAQV1zEG4-_OLsltyBOrOveIUilYcfIA-PJKdnqnZ7rv3bUqWRTl4sEhKKVeOWoxetjktt2Z3xOn-RYKLKEfHRar7n3Wu5_t8K_jNS2BYxougBhbL9QgHWOFr6r3UBXA3xRFjkqIw8AxqS9yCxLQivtQ6182m6-_yGhoccodKjZTpCT-0Q9fyv4smHvYP2m1sXXPy_97exKKuZBVD-xwNMsjiR3NapYa9jsk43JgaIL3PEGWrEZHPluAt-U-GHLO57VrTkjIMAPcyyrY-=w1160-h870-no

I7IaEY0rze-61zXGVwfKgmOZ5aeG11abNm0WI_UlV6rq68G12lBFP-e9ZJG06KqCSy503gXfUO-CGIVDGS6T9NNykMF3tO1qfwmYBuhC_REZRyV-npNAa2hLm5JI6tHKjgtENY1GP9vVCWlYuoaE_Aa6QQQL5bwSMvRyjfcP5Xv7OiHQSb1edSI4IJOyV8r1sgcySJuiAZSCwQHWoKx_0ZchpU1gCbeo6PqqlgdLmVB_DceDqngWGDiqhsPa3475EbMxMii0dpNeRjLRejkLyhlJrDgN2i8cnQVVmrUNbSyS-woAnBeLxmiglqId4TajyzI2VtNTeMhU-8YqYICrBJLqOVENfpaizLEvq827kWOPb19R_Fsre7cr_dpeDI8C00_znbzI9J3dLmJTOOdCCrJ55nxJKsCFnjpgBryrWWlHqA5rHUB_C_LyjD7n6qwyMoYTF0GKRWf6My0saBx5Blpwiz2w90fBd3shkT12VyYmVwTAhqJrg0rNadbiQqtmx77gQH3IbIunsElYlzMCJ3zyQkCySmyRMWiOyozRt2lcgOlxvo2jqoCuYdI-bRByEQv5ihGz3zRTHE-QDn118GvRp_dmi88PHBLutegvci8-fn6sIavgJfl6nuP1Y0ZpN4lbLmuiW-4Fr2ydmGZYSvMzgM_NTUfLnDu-lM8euDYIIz_YdjVy-rNKCH0SStMqfdaL0XrBBOFlSfJGraUNRK_fIw=w1160-h870-no

68sqcs1rW-g47Qa355xpt9iewdH46Q0OUb9rEGZkAP8qPW7TZssdL24wSs_aAGRG2rvQpaXJdGZR5SZ1m6R_asR1hIUR7S7GEmEPlpq89e0EDCgOe_zzw_Atnu8euh-MNAt83wa3LtcjEzGbS8ONd_dSRMi4DT8Pz0Zut9j7Si9tbsNmbnWWr61FyYy5iynRpyt23WuLp__P1xFeurbiif-Vtyws2m-LGGPup2HTeMRlCvGHSABzImGftN39rM6gISIv6dX3w7j8LW0Pvimy-DN8ETarEPJhnsxyuL_UzO41KjBBAZDJdS30kASXkSihRs3D3CJG3eMhQlD0xGLYnQ2RM-mBxWDLJnnhoTLjefiGn9SHasykXYfjRi2eTKubiOpZnS_w_byagi-gsex4Qe9ZEE0Gx655mXcEHKNlugsGE0KURvd_e3tCN6dmZoiBAzbFJJ3eR5MCyY6NKTc4JeQi2BDOKgrnHcSIQzAPp4-ZfQKOfmtf_H0pbQVp0E-kE8nz0qO3x-v9KBwXVRyikOl1rEzla6bgKeBR-H8GHqpDVC5iOkyvCjxHQ2SGEKiUcdvuatG_-ef8oSxDR-36OsRBD63fWNVersQ-7uxwI3TicH__-hgbGbLMHY2tFsrh3mvXzyxpWBYJGEfiOqXAT6uSeNBbfPriZH732GeZ-BOkXVmXOsgAp81VDYCdwQdQbHxC5eE8HSW7T6YDuZDuG83kAQ=w1160-h870-no

I guess I didn't get a pic with the hose on and the gates clamp but I drew a line on the house and housing to get the correct clocking, pulled it all out and attached the hose and heated the clamp on the bench. Let cool and threaded the whole assembly back into the engine bay.

Back