• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help. Power Steering Question -- URGENT

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm about to commit hara kiri.

Working on fixing up an '88 Laredo for an ex-girlfriend in Montana. Hoped to put it on the road this week, finish everything, and drive it out there next week. Seems the Jeep gods have other ideas.

Got it running, but there are some unpleasant noises coming from the engine. In the process of trying to isolate the source, I relaxed the tension on the serpentine belt to check for a possible frozen pulley. Everything rotates freely, but ...

... does anyone have a power steering pump (or just the pulley) out of the vehicle? I need to know, because when I spun this one around I saw a diagonal cut across the face of the pulley. It might be there from the factory as a kind of tension releif (???), but it also looks a lot like what you might get if you used a die grinder to cut the old serpentine belt off, and weren't careful about how deep you cut.

So many other things on this Jeep have been butchered, I need to know if this is one to add to the list.

TIA

Eagle

Yeup, Mine has that cut in the pulley too. I thought it had split or something.

What a relief! :)

If memory serves me correctly my 84 PS pully has it too!

Back