• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Annual Swamp Lake Trail run July 15-17

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
The annual Swamp Lake Trail XJ trip will be July 15-17. I've lost track of how many times we've done this run, but this has to be the 8th or 9th trip. We've had 25-30 rigs the last few years. It's always a good time, with a fun trail, great camping location next to a lake, and good friends. The schedule is to meet up Thursday evening at our usual camping spot at Dinkey Creek (I'll post directions when we get closer) and hit the trail Friday morning, then spend both Friday and Saturday nights at Grouse Lake, finishing the trail on Sunday. You can hike, swim, boat, fish, or just sit around and BS.

We're adding a new twist to the trip this year. Mil Thornton, our favorite cook, will be cooking dinner on Friday evening and breakfast on Sunday morning. This should make it even more relaxed setting up camp on Friday and packing up on Sunday morning. The food will likely be $25 per rig, and we'll firm that up as soon as we can. I know that's a deal for a family, and a lot for a single, but it cuts down on what we have to shop for and pack. We'll also do our usual pot luck dinner on Sat.

This is a moderate trail so recommended equipment is rock rails, 31" tires, and a locker or limited slip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jes
Here are a few pics of last years run. If you want to read more about previous trips just do a search for threads with "Swamp Lake" in the title.

Our camp
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Thanks so much Richard for laying this out and getting it set. So we just pay the $25/rig and we get feed for the weekend thurs night-sunday? :) I will bring extra food and lots of beer, I just usually pack light. Last summer I just ate granola bars, trail mix etc, so I didn't need to pack alot of perishable items. I missed last year and will try my best not to miss this year as well. I plan on leaving Thurs night and taking Friday off of work. Is the camp ground right as you come off the road, or do you need to do a little trail 1st to get to it? I was just wondering if I need to have all my rock lights blaring to meet up Thurs night.

Goatman said:
This is a moderate trail so recommended equipment is rock rails, 31" tires, and a locker or limited slip.

Don't forget proper tow hooks or tow points. We don't need a repeat of last year.

Who's heading up Friday night/Sat morning I think I'm leaning towards that? I know last year alot of people met at Matt's house and hit the trail Sat morning. Who is planning on going a little later? For those going on Thursday night, are you guys backtracking to Grouse Lake or is the trail a loop or something? Do you do the trail a few times and stay at Grouse Lake a few nights? Do you guys do the Bald Mt. trail as well, is it close by?

Troy

Hey, are we gonna have a camp fire at the meeting place, how about at the evening stops? Can I bring my dog? How about a friend ...can i bring one...? Is this just for XJ's or can anyone come? Should I bring extra beer? Is there a store close by? What is the weater like that time of year?..Just wondering

JTBOSCO said:
Hey, are we gonna have a camp fire at the meeting place, how about at the evening stops? Can I bring my dog? How about a friend ...can i bring one...? Is this just for XJ's or can anyone come? Should I bring extra beer? Is there a store close by? What is the weater like that time of year?..Just wondering

You're starting to sound like me. :laugh3: Sorry guys, I'm really excited and was just trying to plan. :gag:

Nice to see some firm trail dates coming together. Gives me a target and incentive to get my shit going and try out the rig!

Our local group ran Dusey and Swamp last year and had a blast.

Maybe this year I can make it more than just sunday :rolleyes:

Lets see, own a working jeep this year? check.

No moving from california that weekend? check.

No moving BACK to california that weekend? check.

hot damn, looks like I can make it after 3 years of trying. I swear if I dont make it this year I will let someone shoot a hole in my fender. And you can hold me to that!

Scrappy said:
Maybe this year I can make it more than just sunday :rolleyes:

Lets see, own a working jeep this year? check.

No moving from california that weekend? check.

No moving BACK to california that weekend? check.

hot damn, looks like I can make it after 3 years of trying. I swear if I dont make it this year I will let someone shoot a hole in my fender. And you can hold me to that!
what caliber? :D

I pack a .357" I think that should put a decent size hole with a hollow point!

I did mention I have some extra fenders didnt I? You can shoot holes in them all you want! cant touch the heep. :laugh3:

Richard you leading this one, again?

I would really like to try to get involved if there is a place to get involved with this trip. Just let me know!

Matt

BrettM said:
hopefully my reading comprehension isn't as bad as Troy's, but where is this trail located? I know it's central Sierras, is it up near Shaver Lake?

31s and a locker are minimum... are there any optional more difficult parts?

Yeah, it's near Shaver Lake. It's roughly an hour drive into the mountians east of Fresno. The Swamp Lake Trail is sort of like a mini-Dusy. It's in the same area and makes a loop inside of the loop that Dusy does. While Dusy is 33 miles of trail Swamp is about 12-14 miles of trail.

There are a few semi-hard lines, but nothing real difficult. Of course, this depends on how you're equiped. A rig with 31's and one locker will have a good challenge. I don't think we'll do what we did last year........we seriously unstacked the hardest section on Sunday and it ended up taking us nearly 3 hours to get the group through, with a majority of the rigs needing a strap or winch.

Sometimes a few of us run Bald Mtn Trail Sunday afternoon, which has some real good spots on it. Depending on which way we run Swamp, we drive right past Bald Mtn trail on the way back to Dinkey Creek. If anyone can go home on Mon, or later Sunday evening, we can also do Bald Mtn......I'm up for it. I'd love to see CRASH on Hollywood Hill again. :D

Goatman said:
Yeah, it's near Shaver Lake. It's roughly an hour drive into the mountians east of Fresno. The Swamp Lake Trail is sort of like a mini-Dusy. It's in the same area and makes a loop inside of the loop that Dusy does. While Dusy is 33 miles of trail Swamp is about 12-14 miles of trail.

There are a few semi-hard lines, but nothing real difficult. Of course, this depends on how you're equiped. A rig with 31's and one locker will have a good challenge. I don't think we'll do what we did last year........we seriously unstacked the hardest section on Sunday and it ended up taking us nearly 3 hours to get the group through, with a majority of the rigs needing a strap or winch.

Sometimes a few of us run Bald Mtn Trail Sunday afternoon, which has some real good spots on it. Depending on which way we run Swamp, we drive right past Bald Mtn trail on the way back to Dinkey Creek. If anyone can go home on Mon, or later Sunday evening, we can also do Bald Mtn......I'm up for it. I'd love to see CRASH on Hollywood Hill again. :D

Since I actually have a job now and have removed my BUM status. i should be able to make this run. I should even be up for a run on Sunday afternoon.

-Mike

Reactions: Jes
hey goatman1 this is joe form bakersfield chrysler jeep. i wish i could make it there this year, but i moved out to colorado as you know. i got a new rig to play with, an 89 that i put a 4 1/2 inch lift on and 33's and a detriot in the rear. the body is good on this one, no dents yet. but to the people going on this trip i did it 2 years ago with 2 1/2 inches of lift and 31's and a lunchbox locker in the rear and had no real trouble. no sliders so some damage but my jeep was already beat. it is a fun trip to go on

Goatman said:

There is one VERY good obstacle which FarmerBoy and I have failed to climb two years in a row. Richard knows where it is, but claims to have "not seen it" multiple times.

Time to pull the string out, Rich. :D

CRASH

CRASH said:
There is one VERY good obstacle which FarmerBoy and I have failed to climb two years in a row. Richard knows where it is, but claims to have "not seen it" multiple times.

CRASH
pics!? (of the obstacle, you can keep your strings to yourselves)

CRASH said:

CRASH

Yeah, yeah.......you lead next time and I'll hang back and find a few fun spots to play on.

:D :D

Back