• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with my wipers

Z22_Z33

NAXJA Forum User
Something is wrong with them. I don’t know if it is the wiper blades or something else.

The problem I have is sort of hard to explain.
I guess the easiest way to explain it is this.
It’s like a strobe kind of affect. When cruising on the highway with them on low high speed, it looks like my blades are under a strobe light, and makes a noise like they are skipping across the windshield. It also happens at lower speeds, but the noise is more prominent. The water also isn’t going off real well, like as if the blades were skipping on the windshield, yet when I turn on the washer fluid it suddenly stops and acts normal, also at certain times it doesn’t do this at all. I thought it was my old blades so I replaced them, but it still happens, my old blades were boschs and the new ones are the same as the old.
Does anyone know what could be causing this? It’s not too bad but still annoying when I’m on city streets, but when on the freeway in heavy rain, I’m not able to stand it.

I had the exact same thing happen to me on my 97. I solved it by rubbing RainX on the window about once per month or so. I started changing my blades about as often as I change oil and it hasn't come back.

Yeah but I just changed them last month, probably started happening a little while later. Only problem blades out here are anywhere from 20-30 for the cheap stuff up to 50 for the more expensive kinds which be being dumb is what i do, but they lasted for over a year.
Its just a temporary fix to the problem.
I dont want to be on a long trip and find out thats when they decide to act up. Just cant stand that strobe effect on the freeway, man that is wierd.

Lift the blades from the windshield, wipe on some 'Brasso' on and let it dry then wipe it off. Apply some car wax. I do this about 5 times a year. Gotta remember to swap my summer blades off and put the winter ones on tomorrow...

can tell you never been in the navy or around boats, brasso is an oxidation remover, brasso is the trade name, comes in a small metal can. Shake it up, wipe it on and let it dry for about 2 min or so then polish it off with a clean cloth. Once thats done put a coat of, I use turtle wax, on the windshield not the wipers. You can also clean the windshield with amonia if you can stand having it about 6" from your nose....
I usually carry a can of brasso in the jeep with me, especially during the winter when the tractor trailers throw up some kind of black splooge that does nasty things to the windshield/wipers in winter weather. The stuff is almost like a black tar or thick sticky oil, other wise I end up having to scrape it off with my fingernails or something, it will actually stop the wipers dead for a half second.

Nope not to much. I also gotta ask where can I get this stuff at? Just to clarifly all this stuff goes on the windshield?

Mine were doing the same thing and when I was repainting my wiper arms I noticed that even though my wiper blades were only a few months old, the side that gets hit by the sun was all dried out so I took off the blades and flipped them over and reinstalled them the opposite side up and its like I have new wiper blades again. The UV rays from the sun must eat them up pretty quickly.

Z22_Z33 said:
Nope not to much. I also gotta ask where can I get this stuff at? Just to clarifly all this stuff goes on the windshield?

Yup, all goes on the windshield, I usually buy my brasso in either the PX or clothing sales near the belt buckles, never looked for it around civ stores. It would probably be near where the pots and pans cleaners are, can is white with blue stripes, theres one for aluminum and one for copper/brass. I use the copper/brass

Atl XJ said:
Mine were doing the same thing and when I was repainting my wiper arms I noticed that even though my wiper blades were only a few months old, the side that gets hit by the sun was all dried out so I took off the blades and flipped them over and reinstalled them the opposite side up and its like I have new wiper blades again. The UV rays from the sun must eat them up pretty quickly.

No suprise there, probably a special compound that they can almost set a clock by as to how long it will last and the clock is probably set for 180 days. Was a time when I would go two or three years between replacments, now it's twice a year...

Back