• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 xj no start, have spark and fuel timing is on, I’m loat

Racejeep92

NAXJA Forum User
Did an engine swap on a 99xj 4x4 automatic donor engine came out of a 98 xj 4x4 automatic, using the 99 intake because the 98 intake had different vacuum set up, now it turns over and almost fires, spraying starter fluid in the intake has no positive or negative effect, also cleaned IAC still no start

Did an engine swap on a 99xj 4x4 automatic donor engine came out of a 98 xj 4x4 automatic, using the 99 intake because the 98 intake had different vacuum set up, now it turns over and almost fires, spraying starter fluid in the intake has no positive or negative effect, also cleaned IAC still no start

Is the distributor 180* out of time?

Is the firing order going the right way on the distributor?

Also check the distributor cap center coil terminal along with the rotor, and the coil to distributor wire.

Double checked everything again today still same result, if I hold the throttle about 75% to wide open it will stumble and almost start so out of curiosity I unplugged the IAC and tried starting it again with the same results so I’m believing that this may be my issue

Double checked everything again today still same result, if I hold the throttle about 75% to wide open it will stumble and almost start so out of curiosity I unplugged the IAC and tried starting it again with the same results so I’m believing that this may be my issue

Hmm, I sort of remember having an issue like this when the distributor was 1 tooth off, or maybe it was the wiring to the distributor was shorted.

I doubt it’s a short in the wiring, checked spark for consistency in both the pattern and the color of spark, each one was bright blue and all were consistent, gonna see if the distributor may be off a tooth but still going to order a new IAC just to eliminate it as a possibility

battery max chargred? try turn ignotion 3 times to run pos, do not start, 4time, all the way to start. if it do not start, check fuel pressure + f.pump. + how's your cps?

Got it to start today indexing on the distributor was off by 1 tooth but now it runs extremely rough and has no power and the exhaust heats up to where it’s glowing red within just a couple minutes of running

Back