• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor mounts

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
My 95 XJ 4.0 (217K miles) fan is hitting the shroud when I pull away from a stop. I'm thinking with the new fan clutch now spinning the fan when hot for the first time. I'm getting a noise and I can see where the fan has trimmed the shroud. I'm thinking the motor mounts are allowing the motor to torque sideways and down. How hard is it to change out the mounts? Can the motor just be jacked up and change them?
gregg

Not too hard. About $10 each at the local auto store. You pretty much jack the engine up a bit and replace them. You may find you have to remove the oil filter to get the passenger side bolt out. I would also check out your tranny mount, but they are a bit more spendy.

I'd suggest getting some MORE mounts....

I'd suggest changing both sides while you're at it. Also check the bolts holding the brackets to the engine block.

XJ Styker: Nice writeup.

lawsoncl said:
Not too hard. About $10 each at the local auto store. You pretty much jack the engine up a bit and replace them. You may find you have to remove the oil filter to get the passenger side bolt out. I would also check out your tranny mount, but they are a bit more spendy.

how can you tell if the tranny mount is bad? i just replaced my motor mounts and header and i still have a klunking when i pull out turning left, it feels like it's right under my seat.

92tahoexj said:
how can you tell if the tranny mount is bad? i just replaced my motor mounts and header and i still have a klunking when i pull out turning left, it feels like it's right under my seat.
Is your driveshaft hitting your header?

If you want just the bushings then the MORE stuff has a good record and is well known, but if you want the brackets too take care that MORE has a big disclaimer that their brackets won't work with aftermarket headers. The Brown Dog brackets look like they are close to stock, but a lot stronger (won't help if bolts break though).

Funny, my MORE bombproof mounts work just fine with my Borla header. And have for 5 years.

The mounts or the brackets? This is what their web page says

BombProof Block Brackets for 91-96 XJ's w/ 4.0L engine. The factory block brackets are retained w/ 3 bolts, We have seen many cases where the bolts come loose or break causing the engine to fall. Sometimes this will also damage the block ( Threaded Bosses ) . We have come up with a replacement bracket that will bolt on using 7-8 existing threaded holes on the side of the block.
Note: Will not work with aftermarket headers

Red highlight is theirs

Back