• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D-44 rear U-bolts for leaf springs 87 XJ

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I need to order 2 new leaf spring (OEM size) u-bolts and nuts for the rear end-axle U-bolts and nuts for a leaf spring for one of my Renix jeeps (89 I think). But not sure which stock axle this white jeep has, do I need to check that first?

I read something about different sizes here 2 days ago, so not sure if I need to be picky about which to order?

I found the part number and specs for the new leaf spring eye bolts.

Also is the upper plate (that super thick plate on top of the leaf pack ) that holds the leaf springs to the axle, using the u-bolts supposed to be slightly bent from side to side across the top of the leafs? It is so super thick I can't imaging it got bent perfectly in service, but then again I have no idea how the PO broke the main leaf :shiver: at the axle either.

Last edited:
Ignore the title, I do not think this one is a D-44 like my Wagoneer, but I have not verified which axle it is. But It is all stock near as I can tell.

Hey EcoMike, you and I seem to be on the same mission on keeping our Renix Jeeps going. I've got leaf springs sitting in the garage already, just in no rush to start the project. I'll be needing that additional hardware as well and await your results you get here. BTW, my 1990 has a D35 rear.

The top plate shouldn't be bent.

D35, 8.25, and D44 are all different tube diameters and would take different u-bolts.

Around here we would just take an old one to the truck spring shop and have them make them on the spot.

It looks factor bent, or a better word would be slightly curved side to side, parallel to the length of the axle shaft. Like it is designed to wrap slightly across the top of the leaf pack so the plate can not slide side to side across the leaf pack. Being as it is about 1/4" thick with an angle turn up at the end, I can't see how the springs, axle and u-bolts could have possible put that small curve in it from use or abuse? The u-bolts would have sheered before they bent that plate.

But it is the first one I have handled close up.

The top plate shouldn't be bent.

D35, 8.25, and D44 are all different tube diameters and would take different u-bolts.

Around here we would just take an old one to the truck spring shop and have them make them on the spot.

Back