• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bent Axle Ears?

xj-grin

NAXJA Member #1096
I am putting the finishing touches on my Waggy44 swap, and as I go to install my drivers side axle shaft, I can't get the second c-clip in on either the inner or outershaft - they appear too narrow by @ 1/16"...?? I can't imagine that I actually bent the ears with my little HF ujoint tool, has anyone had any experience with this, cause its a new one to me...?

I managed to tweaked the ears on my P/S inner shaft using a Snap-On U-joint tool. ( I found out buy using the u-joint tool to press the new bearing cap in and popped the head of the far side cap off )

I used one of the old bearing caps and a big steel rod/hammer combo to push it back out a little.( I used my undamaged outer as a reference) Got it back together on the second go, but it was TIGHT. Checked it after about 30 Min. on the highway, it was a lot hotter then the D/S, but not burning, so I left it alone. A year later it's still not complaining.

lawsoncl said:
Sounds like maybe you have one of the needle bearings out of place? It's pretty easy to do.

Yeah, I've done that before, so it was the first thing I checked - all needles in place. It's weird, it pressed in fairly easy, I c-cliped the first side, pressed in the second, and it simply won't go in far enough to even come close to seating the second c-clip. It spins freely, and I actually took it apart once to double check on the needle bearing placement. The really strange thing, is I have the same problem on both the inner and outer shaft.

Since I have lockouts, I am considering tacking the caps in place and making sure I don't run them at high speeds until I can get a better set of shafts - thoughts?

Just weld em solid as in all the way around(not literally solid for the smartasses)and I wouldn't worry about it.

I used to run into this problem a lot on my D-44 that was in my fullsize chevy. I always opted to NOT weld them in, -just because.

It is possible to bend the yokes, -they are very malleable and can bend, -but usually if you bend them too far, the caps won't even go on to the trunnion of the u-joint cross, -so I seriously doubt that's the case with yours.

I used to re-use my old spring clips, because it always seemed that the new ones fit way too tight. One other thing I used to do was grind the clips down to make them a little thinner.

One time I managed to get a new set of spring clips in (just barely), but it made the joint bind really bad, -so in went the trusty "used" clips, and all was well.

Another alternative to welding is to use green loctite (the slow-set stuff). I used that for a while and never lost a cap, -and they aren't too terribly difficult to remove with the help of a propane torch.

My .02

Back