• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Main Shaft Bent?

Matt99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone had a problem with bending their output shaft on their 242. I have the Currie SYE on it and I believe that the shaft is bent.

The seal keeps leaking and it has been replaced twice.

How can you tell if the shaft is bent? I can't tell by looking at it.

Matt,

A friend of mine went thru 5 different Currie SYE hub/seal combinations and only after he had the sealing surface MICRO polished by a local machinist did the seal leakage decrease to just seapage..... The problem stems from improper mating of the seal and sealing surface. Take a look at the sealing surface on the hub and you will see small circular grooves from when the hub originally was machined. They need to be polished SMOOTH.

Charles

Well the other reason I think it is bent is that I get a vibration that gets worse with speed. Once you get to about 55-60 the vibration is real bad. Also with the front driveshaft out it makes it alot better. I guess it doesn't transmit the vibe as much. I can jack the Jeep up and run it up to about 60 and the vibe is the same....so I know it is in the driveline. The angles are perfect. The driveshaft has been balanced twice and I put all new u-joints in it. I am almost sure that it is the main shaft in the TC I just don't know how to tell.

Matt99XJ said:
Has anyone had a problem with bending their output shaft on their 242. I have the Currie SYE on it and I believe that the shaft is bent.

The seal keeps leaking and it has been replaced twice.

How can you tell if the shaft is bent? I can't tell by looking at it.

I'm stopping by Currie's tomorrow ... I've got similar concerns. I'm gonna asked them the same question. I've got driveline vibes also and it appears to be getting worse ... with some seepage out of the front and rear outputs. It was bone dry before the case was split to do this mod---I took digital photos before the case was split, so I have proof. My 242 hasn't been the same since.

I'll be interested in their comments ...

bchulett said:
Matt,
Look for my email.
I ran across this thread in a seach & I'm curious as to what you found out about this problem. I've got a similiar issue with my Currie 242 SYE.

Thanks,
Todd

I never changed anything out or did anything about it. It is starting to leak really bad but other than that I haven't had any problems....other than the vibration.

I've had similar problems, but on my 231. It has the RE Hack 'n Tap on it. Bent two mainshafts so far. Only way to tell was to split the case open and put the main shaft in a lathe. The problem turned out to be a driveshaft that was too long. Even with the slip yoke on it, it bottomed out. The weakest link turned out to be the stock mainshaft.

Kent_M said:
The weakest link turned out to be the stock mainshaft.
shocking!!! so your saying that a weak piece of the vehicle to sart with that you cut off, drilled a hole in and put tension on via a bolt is a weak link? No way!!

-Sarcasim is king
-XJ_Ranger

Canopener said:
There is tension on the shaft when you bottom out the driveline?
There is pressure on the shaft when you bottom out the driveline. Pressure on the shaft, seals, bearings, entire case, and entire driveline both directions. It also puts pressure on the entire differential assembly and housing, and arguably axletubes as well. Bottoming out the driveshaft is bad and should be avoided.
Buck :canada:

Glad I saw this thread, I have yet to find SYE for NP242, I know now Currie has one, do they have it on their web site? I am unable to find it. Also, are there any other makers of 242 SYE, sounds like the Currie design may have issues. I want to install a 6" kit on my '95, figure I will need one. Also, any opinions on rear coil conversions?

Oaktown95XJ said:
Glad I saw this thread, I have yet to find SYE for NP242, I know now Currie has one, do they have it on their web site? I am unable to find it. Also, are there any other makers of 242 SYE, sounds like the Currie design may have issues. I want to install a 6" kit on my '95, figure I will need one. Also, any opinions on rear coil conversions?
It's not listed on their website.
I'd try running without the SYE first. My 87 w/242 has run just fine at 6" without a SYE for over 12 years now. The 242 rear output changed in 96.
I'm not saying you won't need one but just try it without first. Make sure your rear driveline U-joint angles match. (don't shim the pinion up parallel with the shaft)

From my experience, the vibes are caused by an out of balance driveshaft. I can't count how many I've seen. Half of them new out of the box. The problem is that an out of balance drive shaft causes a lot of strain on the output of the tcase and will loosen up the bearing. Seals were not designed to compensate for a wobbling output shaft, whether caused by a bent shaft or a loose bearing. The other thing is to make sure and lube the seal well when you install the SYE or the seal will heat up the first time you spin the shaft and the seal will be ruined before the oil makes it to the seal. You would be surprised how much quieter a new tailshaft bearing can make an XJ.

Back