• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cluster swap

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
ok, so there is a 97 and a 98. The 97 has the idiot light cluster and the 98 has a full cluster. I recall a discussion which sensors cross over and which do not but I can't find the thread:so does anyone know if I will have to move over any sensors? And what about the Tach? will I have to do any new/extra wiring for it?

Not sure if this helps, but I have a '90 that had idiot lights in it. I swapped in a '98 NOS cluster with tach and all gauges. Everything worked great upon firing it up after I swapped out the oil pressure and temp sending units, even the tach. I know this is an older system, but maybe it bodes well for your setup!

-Rich

Colorado_XJ said:
Not sure if this helps, but I have a '90 that had idiot lights in it. I swapped in a '98 NOS cluster with tach and all gauges. Everything worked great upon firing it up after I swapped out the oil pressure and temp sending units, even the tach. I know this is an older system, but maybe it bodes well for your setup!

-Rich

Cool... sending units are no problem as I got the donor sitting in my driveway and the thing that I was really worried about was the tach.

I have a 97 gauge cluster in my 98. Only difference was that when I plugged my new cluster in the 'low fluid' light came on and stayed on. After looking I noticed that the 'low fluid' and 'security' lights were reversed so I removed the 'low fluid' bulb and now when the WW fluid gets low the 'security' light comes on. Thats the only difference. Oh, I think mine came out of a TJ too but I'm not sure and for $20 did not care. :D

RichP said:
I have a 97 gauge cluster in my 98. Only difference was that when I plugged my new cluster in the 'low fluid' light came on and stayed on. After looking I noticed that the 'low fluid' and 'security' lights were reversed so I removed the 'low fluid' bulb and now when the WW fluid gets low the 'security' light comes on. Thats the only difference. Oh, I think mine came out of a TJ too but I'm not sure and for $20 did not care. :D
Low fluid? security lights? What are they? Do you mean the low fluid in the washer fluid? and what security light?

The 98 does not have the security light the 97's did, don't know what it was for, only know that it and the windshield washer fluid were reversed with the 'low fluid' and that key symbol with the line thru it on the 98 = security. If you hold the 98 cluster with the front on your lap so that you are looking at the back there are 3 bulbs in the upper right hand corner labeled 'bl20, cruise', bl22, security', 'bl14 low washer' in the 97 cluster bl22 and bl14 are reversed.

(
Colorado_XJ said:
Not sure if this helps, but I have a '90 that had idiot lights in it. I swapped in a '98 NOS cluster with tach and all gauges. Everything worked great upon firing it up after I swapped out the oil pressure and temp sending units, even the tach. I know this is an older system, but maybe it bodes well for your setup!)

How did you swap in the 98 cluster in your 90. Im running the full old style gauges in my 90 right now and I mean all gauges. Did the new one just bolt right on to your existing bolt holes?And the plugs are the same too?

Colorado_XJ said:

-Rich

Not possible. (without a lot of modification anyway)
Perhaps you meant to write '88 cluster?

Well, it was sold to me as a '98, but I guess it is not possible. It was wrapped like a dealer part, but I got it at a swap meet. Nothing on the odometer, no scratches on the plastic face. Definite NOS. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. Whatever it is, it swapped in fine. Sorry I misled you, albeit unintentional. Maybe I will try to hunt down the receipt (it had the P/N on it). Just so we all know for future reference, what all constitutes the "lot of modification"? Is it do-able?

-Rich

EDIT- Color me stupid. I bought the thing because the setup looked real similar to mine in my '90. And it is similar. And it worked fine. But I have the receipt and the guy has written "98+ Cherokee Instrument Cluster". But I just looked online and it surely is not the '98. So my guess is it's a '96, or something close. That's the closest picture of it I can find. Sorry for the madness. Thanks for the catch, Ace!

Last edited:
Colorado_XJ said:
Well, it was sold to me as a '98, but I guess it is not possible. It was wrapped like a dealer part, but I got it at a swap meet. Nothing on the odometer, no scratches on the plastic face. Definite NOS. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. Whatever it is, it swapped in fine. Sorry I misled you, albeit unintentional. Maybe I will try to hunt down the receipt (it had the P/N on it). Just so we all know for future reference, what all constitutes the "lot of modification"? Is it do-able?

-Rich
For starters, the 97 and newer clusters are a totally different physical configuration than the 96 and older. A 98 cluster won't even bolt into a 90.

Next, starting in 1991 they used electronic speedometers. Your 90 doesn't have the electrical doodad to activate an electronic speedo. If the cluster you bought had provision for a speedo cable, it was for a 1990 or older. If the speedo cable connection was the same as the one on your 90, the cluster was from mid-87 thru 90. The early ones used a different speedo cable attachment at the back of the speedo head.

Thanks, Eagle. That's the "buyer beware" part of business that I have grown to love. I am just glad that whatever I got, it worked.

-Rich

Didn't think it would be very easy to do it because of the shape. I looked at my bro's and it's not even close to the same shape. Thanks for replying to answer my obvious question. I shoulda looked first.

Colorado_XJ said:

-Rich

EDIT- Color me stupid. I bought the thing because the setup looked real similar to mine in my '90. And it is similar. And it worked fine. But I have the receipt and the guy has written "98+ Cherokee Instrument Cluster". But I just looked online and it surely is not the '98. So my guess is it's a '96, or something close. That's the closest picture of it I can find. Sorry for the madness. Thanks for the catch, Ace!

Some poor sob is in for a shock when he uwraps another one marked 88 thats for sure...

Kejtar said:
ok, so there is a 97 and a 98. The 97 has the idiot light cluster and the 98 has a full cluster. I recall a discussion which sensors cross over and which do not but I can't find the thread:so does anyone know if I will have to move over any sensors? And what about the Tach? will I have to do any new/extra wiring for it?

OK, got my cluster in, and my jeep in a matter of minutes traveled 35K miles :)

Back