• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Spout where hose connects to radiator overflow bottle..

gregmondro

NAXJA Forum User
Another simple question that someone probably knows offhand. On my 1996 4.0l XJ the little spout on the radiator fill where the overflow bottle hose connects to it has broken off.

I didn't notice this until now, here is a picture to illustrate

radiatoroverflow.jpg

Does anyone know how to fix this? Can I epoxy it back on? If not any recommendations on how to fix this so the damn thing will stop spewing fluid all over the damn place?

I'd find a hose fitting at the parts/hardware store and drill the neck to that size and thread it into the hole. A quick wrap with teflon tape on the threads forsi or a bit of epoxy would help seal it.

I can't tell from your picture if it snapped clean off or not, but...

When Mine broke, There was still a little bit of the fitting left behind, but not enough to keep the hose.

I slid the hose on as far as I could, and Zip-tied it down. Months later, no problems.

Rad shops just solder in a new one. A bit of work to R & R the radiator. I would just attach a replacement nipple of sorts (material and source options vary), with a metal filled epoxy, and maybe some silicone sealant too, to be sure it is air tight. The Bic pen part sounds like a novel solution, or some hobby shop brass or brake tubing. All it needs to seal is a slight vacuum, about 1/6 lb of vacuum or pressure at the most.

Another option is to put on a 20+ lb cap, and install an inline filler neck in the upper radiator hose, with the 16 lb cap.

Rad shops just solder in a new one. A bit of work to R & R the radiator. I would just attach a replacement nipple of sorts (material and source options vary), with a metal filled epoxy, and maybe some silicone sealant too, to be sure it is air tight. The Bic pen part sounds like a novel solution, or some hobby shop brass or brake tubing. All it needs to seal is a slight vacuum, about 1/6 lb of vacuum or pressure at the most.

Another option is to put on a 20+ lb cap, and install an inline filler neck in the upper radiator hose, with the 16 lb cap.
Can't solder it, because the neck is plastic. But there's enough meat in it to drill it out a little and tap the hole. Since it's not a high pressure application you can even just take a piece of copper tubing or brake line, tap shallow threads in it, and screw it right into the plastic.

Interesting. I was think brass necks, which is what I am still use to, and still have around here.

Since it is plastic, let me offer another possible alternative. If the plastic is thermoplastic, it could be plastic welded back in place too, with a hot air plastic welder, or gas heater knife, or rod.

Back