• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Main seal

evolxj

NAXJA Forum User
Im in the process of replacing the rear main seal, while installing the new top half i got it about 3/4 of the way in and the outer portion of the seal started to get peeled of from the sharp edge. Should i get another or will this one still work, without leaking? Thanks.

Get another. It has to be lubed very well. I used something called Syl Glide on mine. 5-90 soaks that upper seal in a small cup of motor oil for a long time.

Last time I did one of those I soaked it in STP and that worked pretty well, but Sil-Glyde is probably about as slippery as you can get. I'd even try to stuff a little into the slot before inserting the seal, in the hope that it will push some ahead.

I tried soaking it in oil, I guess that i did'nt put enough pressure on it as it was going into the slot. I got another and used soap to lube it up. That one went in with no problems, and i dont have any leaks yet...

As others have said, replace it. The seal is cheap enough to do it now, rather than chance it leaking and having to do the entire job over.

I dipped mine in oil when I did my '88. It took a few taps to get it all the way around but no leaks.

Back