• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EXHAUST HEADER FOR 2000 XJ

OB1214

NAXJA Forum User
Hello guys, I've been trying to find a header for a 2000 xj. all the header I find are for 91-99. is there a reason it won't fit? has anyone else found a header for an 2000 xj? please let me know.
thanks owen.

Yep, but it really depends on your emission requirements, I run a '98 Banks Revolver on my 2000( I don't have Calif emissions).

Every 2000-2001 cherokee I've seen has 2 pre-cats and one downstream cat

So the header for the earlier ones are for the models that only have one downstream cat and up by the manifold it's just straight pipes coming from the flange

If you have an 00-01 cherokee that has the 2 pre-cats you'll have to find a manifold that works with them because theres 4 oxygen sensors, 2 above the cats and 2 below. Theres no real way to bypass them so its pretty much impossible (and illegal) to remove the cats

Every 2000-2001 cherokee I've seen has 2 pre-cats and one downstream cat

So the header for the earlier ones are for the models that only have one downstream cat and up by the manifold it's just straight pipes coming from the flange

If you have an 00-01 cherokee that has the 2 pre-cats you'll have to find a manifold that works with them because theres 4 oxygen sensors, 2 above the cats and 2 below. Theres no real way to bypass them so its pretty much impossible (and illegal) to remove the cats

Not entirely true. What you are describing is CA Emissions '00's and '01's. Some '00's were Federal Emissions vehicles. Instead of the dual front cat they had a Y pipe there. With just 2 O2 sensors. All '01's, to the best of my knowledge, are CA Emissions.

But thinking that still doesn't help. Cause the 0331 head on those has smaller exhaust ports.

But then again if you had a Federal Emissions '00, so nothing illegal going on, would the smaller exhaust ports matter on the head? A Banks Revolver type header like mentioned above would still cover so no exhaust leaks. At least I am guessing it would with the appropriate exhaust gasket. And if the location of the upstream O2 sensor was close enough on the '99 and down header that would not cause a problem. So..... But would require reworking most if not all the exhaust I guess.

Any of that make any sense?
I am sure there is something I am missing that would not make that possible. LOL.

i dont need California emissions I'm in New York. but what you guys are saying is that there no way to work the cats into a new header?

So what you are saying that it is a Calif rig with 4 cats?

So what you are saying that it is a Calif rig with 4 cats?

Technically 3 cats. The dual set up coming off the 2 piece exhaust manifolds that they come with:

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-52304-Certified-Catalytic-Converter/dp/B000VKYCQM

And then a rear cat. Just in front of the muffler. But the rear cat does not have an O2 sensor behind it.

2 Upstream O2 sensors in each of the 2 piece exhaust manifolds and the down stream ones after each cat in that link at Amazon.

This what the 2000-2001 California emission exhaust looks like.
It has two O2 sensor at the cat's inlets and two on the outlets, for a total of four.

3502834625_d2e4c6bc99_w.jpg

The Banks exhaust replaces the top half, connecting at the top of the two mini-cats.
AFAIK, both the Revolver and TorqueTube headers will fit the 0630, 7120 and 0331 heads, with the port openings all well covered.

My 2000 only has the one downstream cat. I do have a JBA for it, not installed. Thorley makes one also. I'd have to look. See if the header only replaces the cast iron manifolds. I have an 01, but it is in pieces. Someone cut out the pre cats. I think the '00 has the some Y-pipe, but without the pre cats.

On the '00, I might use a long header. Also, possibly use an earlier head. From what I have looked at, the 00-01 headers and a 1.5 ID. I think the Flowtech has a 1.6.

On the '00, I might use a long header. Also, possibly use an earlier head. From what I have looked at, the 00-01 headers and a 1.5 ID. I think the Flowtech has a 1.6.

RCP Phx's stroker produces some impressive horsepower using a ported 0331 head. The small exhaust ports evidently do not restrict flow much.

My 2000 only has the one downstream cat. I do have a JBA for it, not installed. Thorley makes one also. I'd have to look. See if the header only replaces the cast iron manifolds. I have an 01, but it is in pieces. Someone cut out the pre cats. I think the '00 has the some Y-pipe, but without the pre cats.

So if your '00 only has a Y pipe then it is a Federal Emissions one.
But then there is the date manufacture too.
Best I can tell that if an '00 is manufactured before 1/20/00 then every thing is slip on. After it is all flanges. But not sure never having seen one up close and personal.

Assuming you have all flanges, use and older head, and a long header guessing you will have to rework the exhaust to a certain degree. Make it more like a '99. And hopefully the 2 O2 sensors I am pretty sure you have will end up where they need to be without having to modify wiring.

But also have to make some brackets for the coil bar or do the Viper coil mod.

Again just guessing on all of this.

As to the 0331 head, I have seen flow reports, that it flows better than the earlier heads at higher RPMs. Also, I did have an 0630 ported, and ported one myself. I did ask, and was told he (Russ Pottinger) could port an 0331 head near to flow as the older heads.

My '00 has only one o2 sensor up by the header. The 02 is in the down pipe on my '00. Also, plan to use the down pipe off of an '01. See were the match up would be for a collector adapter. I want to take this in stages. See what power there is with the short header. I do have the Viper Coil to install. Down the road, I will look at COP. There are some things I like about the '00 wiring.

My '00 has only one o2 sensor up by the
header

Up by the header?

I thought on an '00 with Federal Emissions, the one with just a Y pipe no dual cats, that the upstream O2 sensor was in the down pipe, right near the bottom of the Y pipe, and the downstream was behind the one cat you do have in front of the muffler.

Export models built for the European Union were also similar to the Federal Emissions layout. My '01 has a 'Y' pipe, one upstream O2 and one downstream O2 sensor. Replacement parts are almost impossible to find here in the UK, with my local Jeep parts guy joking that they were 'exhausted' ten years ago in Europe.

Walker in the USA makes a 'Y' pipe, part number 52439, and a front pipe 53440.

Export models built for the European Union were also similar to the Federal Emissions layout. My '01 has a 'Y' pipe, one upstream O2 and one downstream O2 sensor. Replacement parts are almost impossible to find here in the UK, with my local Jeep parts guy joking that they were 'exhausted' ten years ago in Europe.

Walker in the USA makes a 'Y' pipe, part number 52439, and a front pipe 53440.

So you have a European '01?
Cause I was pretty sure that all '01's were CA Emissions which means the dual front cat and not the Y pipe.
But I could see how that would only apply to US models.

Up by the header?

I thought on an '00 with Federal Emissions, the one with just a Y pipe no dual cats, that the upstream O2 sensor was in the down pipe, right near the bottom of the Y pipe, and the downstream was behind the one cat you do have in front of the muffler.

You are correct. My wordage was off, it was getting late at work.
I will add that the 0630 and 7120 heads have a 1.5 ID. I like a bit larger diameter tube if I can. Still, a 1.5 tube will cover them, as stated before.

If you have a 00-01 without Cali emissions you could use this set up

https://www.streetsideauto.com/p/pa...MIscGE8rir5wIVSZyzCh2mUAa-EAQYDSABEgKkpfD_BwE

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...MIscGE8rir5wIVSZyzCh2mUAa-EAQYByABEgJALvD_BwE

By using that Y pipe it would remain "stock" to the later years because in their place would be the pre cats as opposed to the 99 and down models that had a big collector and a single pipe going down

See now this brings up another thing I wonder about.
That Pacesetter header just lists TJ's. No XJ's.
But best I can tell is that for the stock 2 piece exhaust manifold the part number is the same for a TJ as it is for an XJ.
So if that Pacesetter header would fit an XJ why would they not say so?
Also this is not the first time that I have seen a manufacturer advertise a TJ header with no mention of it fitting the '00 and '01 XJ's.

And that Y pipe can be bought for about $20 to $25 cheaper elsewhere.

Back