• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil Spring Choice - for my grocery getter rock crawler!

bajabronco

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am looking to change out the coil springs in my rig with something new that might be a little stiffer or is progressive rate. My rig has a Hanson front bumper with a winch, as well as a hybrid cage. I have been running Rubicon Express 4.5" coils and a 1.25" coil spacer and then the isolator. My rig is actually the perfect height right now, since I am trying to keep it low COG. In doing some measuring I believe my total lift is around 5". The actual distance from the bottom of the coil bucket to the top of the coil bucket, (distance including the isolator) is around 17.5" I drive my rig on the street all the time, as well as to and from all my wheeling locations such as Big Bear, the Rubicon, Dusy Ershim, Johnson Valley etc. I am considering the Deaver 5.5" coils, but am not sure if they would be too stiff for rock crawling & daily driving. In doing some reading I saw that PAC coils were mentioned as well, but I haven't been able to find a lot of info on them. I wanted to see if the NAXJA brain trust had some recommendations for me!
mytruckawesome_zpserqrad7h.jpg

I am quite happy with the MetalCloak 4.5" dual-rate coils. They are sold as TJ coils but gave that height on my XJ with a JCR winch bumper (I have 6" with an ACOS spacer and an extra isolator). They don't publish stiffness but they are pretty firm. I actually bought them because of the resting length, longest I could find, so they wouldn't unseat, but have been very pleased with the handling as well.

I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on this as well. I had the exact same setup as you on my 99 and even with prothanes felt it was way too soft most of the time. I had planned on going with the PAC jeepspeed coils but now that they are no longer producing suspension products I am undecided on which way to go. I've heard good things about the MetalCloak and Currie coils but no first hand experience.

I'm going on 15yrs with the RE 1345 springs netting me 5.5". They have a very nice ride and are stiffer than the 1310's.

Ron, I had read that the 1345's (5.5") RE Springs have a higher spring rate than the 1310's (4.4") . 184 lbs/inch vs 164 lbs/inch. -not a ton of difference. I also read that the ZJ 1341 (3.5") has a 198lbs/in. spring rate and nets 5" on a Xj -

(I found the info on the 1341 coils here -https://dpgoffroad.com/product/5-inch-rubicon-expressdpg-extreme-duty-hybrid-xj-kit/)

I have no idea how accurate those numbers are. I do question the quality of the spring now since Transamerica/Polaris has owned them for awhile vs. when you bought yours back in the day.

I have been doing some searching and did read on IRO site that the Ironrock 5.5 coil springs were 230 pounds per inch

The Deavers are progressive and 245 pounds per inch but quickly go to 285

I also found info that the Currie CE-9132FP are 4" on a XJ and are a dual rate with a combined rate of 70lbs (not sure what that means though!)

Anyone have real world experience with these coils?

Some great information here, I was thinking of using the Metal Cloak springs up front as well.

EHall, What rear springs, shocks, and arms did you use with the Metal Cloak 4.5" springs??

Ron, I had read that the 1345's (5.5") RE Springs have a higher spring rate than the 1310's (4.4") . 184 lbs/inch vs 164 lbs/inch. -not a ton of difference. I also read that the ZJ 1341 (3.5") has a 198lbs/in. spring rate and nets 5" on a Xj -

(I found the info on the 1341 coils here -https://dpgoffroad.com/product/5-inch-rubicon-expressdpg-extreme-duty-hybrid-xj-kit/)

I have no idea how accurate those numbers are. I do question the quality of the spring now since Transamerica/Polaris has owned them for awhile vs. when you bought yours back in the day.

I have been doing some searching and did read on IRO site that the Ironrock 5.5 coil springs were 230 pounds per inch

The Deavers are progressive and 245 pounds per inch but quickly go to 285

I also found info that the Currie CE-9132FP are 4" on a XJ and are a dual rate with a combined rate of 70lbs (not sure what that means though!)

Anyone have real world experience with these coils?

The dual rate means it's two sections of spring, one of which coil binds to "crossover" to the higher rate. When you calculate the rate for the overall spring prior to crossover, it's a math formula based on the two rates, handy dandy chart here:

Stacked-Springs-Combined-Rates-Chart.png

Most likely, it's something like a 100-150 over a 200-250. Gives you a nice squishy rate for chop and small bumps, and ramps up to the heavier 200-250 rate one big bumps. F/R rates should somewhat match near bump or one end will be forced to flex more than the other. You'll feel this as more inconsistent body lean as each axle clears an obstacle (flatter on the softer rated axle and more body lean on the stiffer axle), or if you're in off-setting opposite obstacles, it will pitch towards the softer corner. With an XJ and leaves/links combined, this will always be a problem, just more so when you mix up rates.

I'm running the Metalcloak XJ 3.5 lift. Metalcloak 3.5" springs, Metalcloak adjustable short arms. CAD brackets,OME shocks front and rear, OME rear springs, ACOS set to about 5" of lift, RE shackle relocator. This set up is very soft. Almost to soft with the front sway bar disconnected. It's super comfy for what I do but for crawling you might want a little more spring rate. I'm not sure if the 4.5" springs have a different spring rate.

I am going to do some testing with a number of coils. I was able to pick up a pair of RE 1345 5.5" on sale from Quadratec for $89.00. I am planning on heading down to Deaver (they are local to me) next week to pick up a pair of their 5.5" coils for as well. I'll post results as things progress!

I switched from RE coil springs to Deavers some time back. Wow, what a difference it made. Way less body roll on and off road. I like to go fast in the rocks and these coils do great giving me a fantastic ride.

I am quite happy with the MetalCloak 4.5" dual-rate coils. They are sold as TJ coils but gave that height on my XJ with a JCR winch bumper (I have 6" with an ACOS spacer and an extra isolator). They don't publish stiffness but they are pretty firm. I actually bought them because of the resting length, longest I could find, so they wouldn't unseat, but have been very pleased with the handling as well.

Like these?

https://metalcloak.com/tj-lj-wrangler-coils-true-dual-rate-coils-4-5-front.html?qty=1

Searching threads for coil spring choices (whew..).

Have OME 3.5" front and rear. Has always felt a bit softer than I expected but have no others to compare with. I just finished adding RE rear drop shackles for clearance, which raised the rear 1.25". I'm fine with the near level look but also considering adding SRB to fine tune the shackle angle which will add another 1.5" and cause the stinkbug look. So, rather than shotgunning ACOS in, at higher cost than coils, I decided to shop for new front springs and came across your Metalcloak discussion. Looked them over and sounds great. Can you tell me if you'd expect them to be stiffer than OME? Reading other threads on spring rate but seems OME comes in a 147# and a few have commented that 200# plus is recommended (yup, winch bumper and winch, skids everywhere).
Guess I need to flex the OME and see if the springs are coming out of the buckets. Unfortunately, I neglected to measure ride height before/after the OME lift or before/after the new rear shackles so it's eyeballing only.
Running 33 x 10.50 x 15 trimmed with Rusty's fenders.
Steer me straight or slap me around..

NOTNSUV I can't comment on the Metalcloak coils, I ended up swapping out my 4.5" RE coils with RE 5" ZJ coils. They are better than the previous RE's that I ran and not as mushy and are good for my XJ with a winch and bumper. I have no experience with OME coils.

Metalcloak tells me via email that they have 3.5", 4.5", and 6" that will fit the XJ, interchangeable with TJ. He also said that ACOS will not work with their springs due to the narrow progressive top section. But.. a couple folks here have said they have ACOS with MC springs. He suggested I might need the 6" but I will hold off until if/when I install the SRB and see where it sits.
Question seems to always be: "what's the actual lift a spring provides?"

Good to go for now and hoping for a group outing/trail ride in my neck of the woods in the next week or so. That should tell me a lot.

Last edited:
Metalcloak tells me via email that they have 3.5", 4.5", and 6" that will fit the XJ, interchangeable with TJ. He also said that ACOS will not work with their springs due to the narrow progressive top section. But.. a couple folks here have said they have ACOS with MC springs. He suggested I might need the 6" but I will hold off until if/when I install the SRB and see where it sits.
Question seems to always be: "what's the actual lift a spring provides?"

Good to go for now and hoping for a group outing/trail ride in my neck of the woods in the next week or so. That should tell me a lot.

That's because TJ's are lighter on the front, most companies advertise a +1'" for a TJ over a XJ for the same spring.

Bump to find easily. Still pondering and monkeying with my suspension/lift.

Liking the idea of IRO 3.5 with boomerang shackle or SRB (to add an inch or so, if they confirm that) and 4.5" MetalCloak up front with CAD brackets.

I am going to do some testing with a number of coils. I was able to pick up a pair of RE 1345 5.5" on sale from Quadratec for $89.00. I am planning on heading down to Deaver (they are local to me) next week to pick up a pair of their 5.5" coils for as well. I'll post results as things progress!

How’d your testing go? Have you made a final decision on coil springs?

maxbraketorque, nope I sure don't. I am sure you can call the guy at Deaver and ask them. They are really nice guys down there.

Back