• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad rear end shake

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L, aw4, np231, 8.25” rear with zj discs. RE 3.5” lift springs in the rear with 1” lift shackle and relocation brackets. Front end is RK 3 link, 3.5” lift springs and 1” coil isolators. WJ knuckles with one ton otk steering. DL and TB are pretty flat and pretty close to parallel. Homemade sector shaft brace bolted to both frame rails, and trackbar brace bolted to opposite frame rail. Front and middle rails plated. No swaybars front or rear for the past 5 years or so.

At any speed above 5mph if I am on anything but perfectly smooth pavement, I have a bad shake/wobble in the rear. If pavement is smooth, the Jeep runs pretty smooth at any speed. Expansion joints, pot holes, etc are a little unsettling.

It’s definitely rear end, I had death wobble in the front last year and got that sorted out and all was good for several months. No steering wheel feedback/shake, just the whole ass end feels like it is bouncing around.

I had my wife drive it while I drove behind her and I can see it shimmy some, but wheels are firmly planted and it tracks straight.

Lugs are tight, shocks are fine but I am planning to upgrade before the next wheeling trip. I’m gonna take the tires next week to be rebalanced. Gonna take the driveshaft out and lube it up and check the unjoints. I’ll run it without the rear shaft for a day and see how it runs. Rear bushings in the leaf springs were replaced about 5 years ago. Ubolts are tight.

The shake doesn’t change with speed, it’s not constant or rhythmic or oscillating. For this reason I don’t think it is anything in the driveline or rear axle, though I’m considering pulling the shafts and replacing the bearings. Because of the association with bumps in the rear I’m thinking it’s something in the suspension binding or loose, but can’t pinpoint anything. Anyone had anything similar to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just realize I posted this in OEM, can a mod move this to mod tech? Probably more appropriate there I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What do you have for tires and wheels? Size of both? Backspace?

Stock rear shaft? Or front double cardan?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back