• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

recommend good lift gate 'struts' for 1992 XJ?

NeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I bought replacements from Eastwood which were worse than the aged originals within about six months - wondering if anyone has a recommendation for anything particularly reliable or robust ?? many thanks

One problem with the old design is the strut mounts on the body tend to tear off the thin sheet metal. when redesigned from the glass hatch to steel, the strut mounts were moved, and thus mounted better. Located up high as on early jeeps puts a lot of stress on the mounts

Mine are working fine, but has anyone tried reworking the older gate to fit the struts like a later model?

I use the Stabilus brand from my local parts store.

i meant to quote NexJ. let us know how those ebay cheapies work on your 92 NexJ. 96 is also fiberglass so they should perform similarly

I bought ones for my '00 XJ at Napa. Been a few years and they seem to be holding up well. Even in the sub zero temperatures we have been having lately.

Thing is I read somewhere to never push the hatch up when you open it. Be patient and let it go up by itself. Couple people have confirmed that. Regardless I would have done it anyway just because.

I bought ones for my '00 XJ at Napa. Been a few years and they seem to be holding up well. Even in the sub zero temperatures we have been having lately.

Thing is I read somewhere to never push the hatch up when you open it. Be patient and let it go up by itself. Couple people have confirmed that. Regardless I would have done it anyway just because.

I always buy them from Oreilly, lifetime warranty. They cost more than others but when they fail (and they all will fail eventually) I get a new set free.

i meant to quote NexJ. let us know how those ebay cheapies work on your 92 NexJ. 96 is also fiberglass so they should perform similarly

thanks - of COURSE they arrived the moment my car went into the shop for two weeks :D

the packaging looks CHEAPO 'made in china clearly printed on it' but the proof is in the pudding i guess ... we'll see - i thought you said YOU were using them too???

i only just installed these now but results are encouraging so far - these things have a HELL OF A LOT OF PUSH to them !!!

Yep im using them too but didnt know if your 92 was different than my 96. Mine are still working super well but well see how li g they last. I have noticed they can require a little encouraging on cold mornings though.

Back