• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frustrated !!! Smog testing

I bought it recently. The guy I bought it from had it smoged (with proof) and it passed. I screwed up and left the country for a vacation. I forgot to register it and it sat on my desk for awhile. When I got off my fat ass and went to register it in my name the smog test was past 90 days old so they require a new one.

I fail the 15MPH part. I pass the 25 MPH no problems. I really think the exhaust leak is what is screwing my.

Ouch! I'm in Orange County and fell your pain.

Thank you I appreciate the offer. Right now the game plan is to fix the leak (I would want it fixed regardless) and try again.

The tailpipe sniffer is used even with the obd2 units because they are "gross polluters" at least in my corner of Smogafornia.

I double checked. If it's 2000 or newer, the tailpipe portion is no longer needed. I have a couple of post 2000 vehicles so they skip that part. My '88 also goes through the EVAP pressure test for an extra $10. :(

Oper, yeah post when you finally get your Jeep passed and what you did to get it passed.
What is it exactly failing for?
My bet is something related to the exhaust, maybe the CAT or excessive oil burning?

Man after reading all this, glad i live in a County that doesn't require smog or any other kind of bureaucratic tests.

update: Well my header is cracked all over the place. It has 4 LARGE cracks in it and the collector crack goes almost all the way around it. So that's a problem.

Discovered a broken engine mount too. So got a new exhaust, new mount and might as well fix my leaking power steering pump while I am at it.

Retest should happen next week

Back