• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Contingency plan?

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
Calico campground is closed until April 3, at the earliest, as Anak posted in another thread, and whether it’ll reopen by SoCal Fest weekend is anybody’s guess. So I’m wondering if the Board has considered any contingency plan.

If the event gets cancelled — and I’m hoping it won’t — let’s wheel that weekend regardless.

On top of the campground closure, we are now under a statewide stay at home order.

I hope everyone stays healthy, which is far more important than anything else right now.

My dog Maui is enforcing (at least) 6' social distancing on walks.

I'm sure we could all meet somewhere and go wheeling. I could do dispersed camping if that is the only option.

I think we should just keep that weekend open, and see what develops as timing gets closer.

The Calico website has been updated. The reference to an expected April 3 reopening has been replaced with a notice that the campground is now closed "until further notice." Not unexpected.

Yeah, we need to call the event off for now... I just can't see people feeling socially or financially safe enough to make this happen next month. Hopefully things will normalize(ish) at some point soon, and we can probably try to do something in the Fall.

As much as it sucks to cancel, there are worse losses out there for a lot of people.

Everyone just stay safe, in whatever way, means, or form works for you and yours.

If anyone wants to drive by my house and wave, just let me know when you will be by. Maybe we can do a Jeep parade somewhere.

If anyone wants to drive by my house and wave, just let me know when you will be by. Maybe we can do a Jeep parade somewhere.

San Bernardino county has specifically banned "vehicle parades". $1000 fine, same as not wearing a mask.

Skype/Zoom/Teams meeting?

Seems to be how everyone else is getting together anymore.

I'm still available for some trail riding, I'm perfectly fine sitting 10 feet apart for lunch.

John watch out for signs that say NO offroading or camping. They have closed a lot of desert out my way. I don't know if BLM has closed any in the high desert. May want to look into it first.

I might be game to do some in-person social distancing on a trail if it's mild. I don't want to stress my Jeep or my shoulders. But I'd want somewhere to camp (Stoddard Valley?) if I'm driving 3 hours to get there.

And yes, there's certainly no use making firm location plans until a few days before, and it won't be anything resembling an official NAXJA event. But it's something to think about!

Back