• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear brakes 9" -> 10" ?

Matt89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my rear brakes, they are starting to grind.

Since I am going to replace everything...

Has anyone put 10" drums on in place of 9" ones that came on the vehicle ?

Is this even possible or are there physical connection differences ?

thx

Matt

Yes, if you change out the backing plates and wheel cylinders also.

BTW: it would only be worth it if you stepped up to the HD brakes(10x2-1/2") and not the 10x1-3/4" std drums.
FH000024_zpsr2unwojy.jpg

What changes do you have to make to the kit?

The OP has a non c-clip axle which has a different flange bolt pattern. You would need to drill out the backing plate, it's been done many times.

The OP has a non c-clip axle which has a different flange bolt pattern. You would need to drill out the backing plate, it's been done many times.

Depending on the donor vehicle, you might also need to make a spacer to hold the bearing race in. I'm running early 90s crown vic discs from the junkyard on my 89. The backing plates bolted right up (I think it's the same pattern as the D44?). I just had to make a couple of spacers, pickup new hoses, and put some metric ends on the brake lines.

You would still have to modify that kit. I can buy a complete ZJ axle w/ brakes for $200.

I used the Quadratech kit as an example for someone who doesn't want to or have the ability to build their own kit.
I have about $200 the rear discs, using ZJ backing plates, new rotors, calipers, pads, hoses and hardware. The parking brake levers were modified to use stock XJ parking brake cables.
To accommodate the need for longer brake cables, the parking brake adjustment bracket was moved rearward.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/2491526558/in/album-72157605049387729/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/4114538730/in/album-72157605049387729/

thx for all of the replies, it looks like I have some reading to do.

Matt

one oops on my part...

I have a 97 XJ now if that make a difference...

It makes a big difference, what axle do you have?

No, you either have a D35(almost total round bottom) or a Chryaler 8.25"(big flat area on the bottom).

Then your best get would be KJ brakes, total bolt on!
P1080476_zpsqxsz0amm.jpg

Back