• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 seal replacement?

purvisdotcom

NAXJA Forum User
First would someone confirm this is a D44? I think I have identified it correctly.
D44.jpg

I saw fluid leaking out my drum brake and assuming it was brake fluid, I opened it up to see what was going on. It looks like it was actually the diff fluid I recently had put into the diff. I assume this means my seal is blown. I am wondering practically if I can run it like this for a while without replacing the seal. I don't off road too much, and Hawaii is basically all rock, so not much mud to get into the mix. I'm hoping that will work as I don't have the time to remove the shaft right now. ( also do you have to remove the shaft on D44?)

Thanks!

You need to keep a close eye on it. Check the fluid level often. Replace it asap.

You will need to remove the bearing retainer ring and bearing assembly to get the seal off and back on. So plan on destroying a bearing and bearing retainer ring. Get a new bearing, race(which should come with the bearing), bearing retainer ring, and seal. Reuse your bearing retainer plate. Cut off old bearing and bearing retainer ring, remove axle seal and bearing retainer plate. You will need to put on the bearing retainer plate, axle seal(make sure it goes on the right way), bearing and bearing retainer ring. Lube the seal with some gear oil or bearing grease.

Exploded view.

dana44exploded.jpg

89 MJ and after a year of restoring the thing I took it today to town. The peugeot sounds like it wants to explode, but I still love her. Thanks for the diagram that helps a lot, and I think it means I DO have to take the shaft off, correct? Any special tool I need like a slide hammer or just elbow grease?

Thanks guys

purvisdotcom said:
89 MJ and after a year of restoring the thing I took it today to town. The peugeot sounds like it wants to explode, but I still love her. Thanks for the diagram that helps a lot, and I think it means I DO have to take the shaft off, correct? Any special tool I need like a slide hammer or just elbow grease?

Thanks guys

You will have to take the axle shaft out. You will have to cut off the bearing retainer ring and bearing, with either a die grinder or another method. Make sure not to cut the shaft any. A slide hammer may help to pop out the axle, thats about it. You will need a press to install the bearings. They are a very tight fit. You might get away with a tube that is long enough to slide down the shaft, on top of the bearing retainer ring, and use a hammer to pound it on. If anything else, you'll have to take it to a shop. Its a real pain in the ass without the proper tools.

Back