• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB cover or Teraflex dana 30 clearance

szfofa

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I had some death wobble, installed a double sheer track bar, fixed dw (along with other repairs), 99 w/ 1.5" lift. at first when I hit any speed bump, the track bar smacked my stock D30 cover (see photo). I loosened the frame bracket and ratchet strapped it forward as far as I could and re-tightened. This mostly solved the problem. But now, when there is a sizable speed bump, it will just tap (much less than before).

options:

Bump stop
coil spacer to add some lift
diff cover change

I currently do not have a place to wrench, infact, I installed the track bar parallel parked on the street (which is awful). I do not want the task of dealing with bumpstops and coil spacers (or asking a shop to do it). I could manage a diff cover swap (need to change the oil anwyay)

this is why ive landed on changing to a shallower diff cover, if you look at the photo, its just hitting on one corner. do you think the ARB will make the clearance? I cant really tell, it's a close call. Teraflex, same story. I sort of think the teraflex will smack, I also have a hp dana 30, and the i only see lp dana 30 covers (lower fill hole) Your guesses are as good as mine, just thought I'd get some input. thanks

42941787314_18a2aa470d_c.jpg

5933_arb_diff_cover_install.jpg

12377790-1230881690259343-7246864161206860128-o.jpg

The ARB cover is actually quite large IMO.

I think you would want a Crane or Riddler cover for the lowest profile, but I dont think anything will be lower than stock.

Take a pic of your steering angles, I can't imagine a drop bracket with that small of lift.

Thats what I thought, It's a KevinsOffroad bracket and bar, I emailed them before I purchased specifically asking if my height was too low, and they said 1.5" is fine and their bar even works with stock height XJ's.....they were wrong... Its actaully only dropped like an inch more than stock (looks like its dropped much more in the photo).

the only other thought is to purposely uncenter my axle so the pumpkin fits better to the curved part of the bar...but I don't like that idea.

28772268417_c50435c137_c.jpg

I think even the crane and riddler curve out too early on the edge to make the clearance...good to know the arb is larger in person...

I'm running the Teraflex cover, it is quite low profile possibly a bit shallower in the area of your concern.

I also don't have the double shear bracket to contend with so YMMV.
Oem single shear mount with the R.E. bar and 3" lift springs for me, nothing has ever come loose and I have zero bump steer or wobble.

Looking at that, if you have any fabricator friends you could probably cut the end of the trackbar off, add more bend to it and reweld it.

Or use a harbor freight pipe kinker and just add some bend.

I have the riddler and they are decently low profile. but if you are hitting on a stock cover, no aftermarket one is gonna fix that. personally id see if someone can shorten that bracket up too cuz that bar isn't parallel to your drag link

Another idea would be to move the frame-side mount forward.

ok, thanks for everyones input...this is such an annoying problem and even more annoying when I don't have the comfort of working on my jeep in my own driveway/garage/parking spot. so I think the only other easily doable option is to go back to the original frame bracket and use a flexing joint on the the frame side....something like a johnny joint or something...what say you?

also, why can't I edit posts...am I missing something?

also, the irony of having problems because my lift is too low, part of the reason I kept my lift low is to avoid problems!

I was going to suggest that, but you need to be careful!

That didn't occur to me but a totally acceptable solution here.

Back